46 | Merry Chuseok

─── ·𖥸· ───

─── ·𖥸· ───

"No, what the hell is this?"

Jeongguk's state of shock and distress is caused by a bunch of boxes in front of him. It's early in the morning and the smell of carton boxes makes him nauseous. Minhee is at the door, paying the delivery man and he can hear Bam barking from somewhere in between boxes.

Minhee closes the door, turning towards Jeongguk who seems to have been frozen. "When I said we should buy a new kennel for Bam, I didn't mean to make a kennel out of cartons."

Minhee rolls her eyes, "Only one box is the kennel." She points at the biggest one and gestures to him to take it away, "Shoo, let me do my work here."

Jeongguk doesn't argue, picks up the box and sits on the dining table instead. Minhee starts with the smallest boxes first.

"Wait, are those the Vernonial sculptures from Ahnso's exhibition?" Jeongguk widens his eyes, almost dropping the cutter in his hand. Minhee blinks her eyes, before staring at the half faced sculpture in her hand, "Maybe?"

"Why have you ordered those?"

Minhee shrugs, "Tomorrow's Chuseok. Everyone's coming over."

Jeongguk blinks, clueless. "Wait, when was this decided—no, who decided this? And who is everyone?"

"Yesterday, your mom and everyone is, our family."

Jeongguk gulps. Minhee said, our family and it's making his heart jump. Fuck. What has he gotten himself into?

Jeongguk sets up Bam's kennel in his room while Minhee opens all the cartons. Curtains, paintings, sculptures and a big family portrait along with smaller frames with Bam's pictures.

"Jeongguk!" she yells. "Can you bring a hammer please?"

And it's so crazy to hear someone else in his house, call his name and actually need him for something. Jeongguk hammers nails and screws wherever Minhee asks him to, whining and complaining about why his house needs a makeover?

But when he walks outside of his office in the late evening, he realises.

"Install heaters, the house is too cold."

This is what Minhee had meant then. The warmth he feels when he walks inside the living room only to be greeted with their family portrait. On the side walls and corners, there's Bam and his parents. Sculptures are carefully placed in areas where Bam or anyone can't knock them over and the most surprising thing— there's a whole shelf filled with Jeongguk's awards and even his Persona cover.

Minhee comes to him with two curtains in her hand, "Which colour would you like in your room?"

Jeongguk doesn't respond. He doesn't know. He hasn't ever done this.