26 | Home of the cold

─── ·𖥸· ───

─── ·𖥸· ───

Jeon Jeongguk. The name rolls off her tongue like acid. Bitter, rancid and unwelcomed.

"Welcome home, Ms Yoon."

Minhee mentally grimaces the way Secretary Kim softly calls her in, drawing her attention from the nameplate outside to him where he stands holding the door open for her. As per one of the clauses in the contract, she finds herself here in front of Jeongguk's penthouse with two suitcases.

She walks inside the house, hissing at how dark it is inside— and it's early afternoon. Secretary Kim slides the curtains open, letting some sunlight in and Minhee is taken aback by the bleakness of the house.

The last time she was here, she didn't really pay much attention to Jungkook's house. It was dark then too but Jungkook's room was relatively warm and bright. But now? The living room seems to be a large playground with absolutely no hindrances— no dining table, no photos on the wall— just a sofa and a side table along with the small chandelier hanging from the ceiling.

The penthouse is beautiful in itself, the view is mesmerising with the way you can see one side of the city, along with the tall skyscrapers where the logos of Wings' and BE glow. Even she doesn't have this view from the Yoon Mansion.

"Your room would be this way." Secretary Kim says, pointing to a closed-door just before the kitchen. Minhee nods, pursing her lips at the house. It's not warm like she had thought, not the 'home' she expected Jungkook to live in. When Secretary Kim lets her inside the room, Minhee sighs.

It is empty—with just a bed, dresser and a desk in the three corners of the room. It looks quite spacious and Minhee recalls that Jungkook's room wasn't so. If she remembers it right then it must be half the size of her room.

It's too big. Too cold.

"Well then, I will leave you to make yourself comfortable. If you need any assistance, you can contact me here." Secretary Kim produces a card from his pocket, handing it over to Minhee. The latter clears her throat before saying, "I don't see any maids or butlers...?"

"CEO Jeon usually stays with his parents, so he hasn't hired anyone here yet. If he does come here at times, he cleans it up all by himself but if you require one, let me know."

Minhee nods, understandingly. Secretary Kim bows, ready to walk out of the room when Minhee chimes, "Thank you, Secretary Kim."

"Anytime, Ms Yoon."

He turns again to walk out when Minhee chuckles. "Don't you do too much for what you get paid for?"

"What can I do as a salaryman?" Secretary Kim shrugs.

"But don't you want something big? Like maybe own a company like your father, brother...?" Minhee quirks an eyebrow up. Kim shows no crack in his facade, it makes Minhee want to press in more.