34 | A reflection of the past

─── ·𖥸· ───

─── ·𖥸· ───

"Oh," Minhee pauses at the doorstep as soon as she unlocks the front door, eyebrows furrowing. "I d-didn't expect you to be home."

"Why? Wanted to sneak into my office again?"

Jeongguk's fist clenched in perfect tandem with his heart. He didn't mean to bite back such a response. All this time when he's spent avoiding Minhee as if he forgot they live together now— he thought he'll be nonchalant when he faces her again.

But seeing her again, it's unfamiliar the way his heart squeezes and he grows breathless.

Minhee doesn't seem to say anything, Jeongguk is immediately forming an apology. At that moment when Minhee looks at him, something too real, too defensive and too vulnerable flashes in her eyes. He's left speechless when Bam just nuzzles his nose in her thighs.

He knew Minhee would eventually come to like Bam but he didn't expect it to be so fast. Minhee's more liquid than he had thought.

"I talked to your mom..."

"I know." Jeongguk says, voice softening. "She called me...said I should make her a schedule because you asked when she would be free..."

Minhee sees the hint of a smile on Jeongguk's lips. It warms her heart so much. Jeongguk's relationship with his mother is so contrasting to what she had thought before. When they had met to discuss the union, Jeongguk's face was so blank and Mrs Jeon actively came forward to make this marriage happen— she thought his mother was no less than hers.

It's not the case though, then why did she agree to have her son— a son she loves so much— marry someone like her? Someone he doesn't love?

"Yeah, I apologised to her too..." Minhee says, looking at the faint handprint she spotted on the wall. "That day, I wasn't talking about her. It wasn't for her...I was talking about my mom..."

"I am sorry too." Jeongguk cringes as soon as he says it. It hurts him to do so but he knows better, that not saying this would keep him up for nights. Guilt is a destructive weapon. "I should have listened to you, given you a chance to explain."

Minhee shakes her head. It's silent again. It takes them back to the morning— the silence where their breaths were so close, noses against each other and unspoken feelings moulding each other's lips.

And that's enough for them to depart to their respective rooms, keep the silence stretching and avoid each other— until the next morning. It's quiet, unmoving and empty, just like it was before. Jungkook wonders where Minhee went even before he woke up until he notices a note beside their bullshit contract on the fridge.

Did the laundry. Also, have you been eating Bam's food? The packet's empty... Minhee

Jeongguk scoffs, rolling his eyes and almost crumpling the note in his hand but he stops, brings it up to his eye again and stares. Minhee's handwriting is just like her, a mess.