38 | Into the unknown

─── ·𖥸· ───

─── ·𖥸· ───

"What are you? Ten?" Dahyun scolds Minhee but keeps her voice low. "Who gets scared of cockroaches?"

"For the nth time, I am not scared but disgusted." Minhee groans, leaning on the reception counter. Dahyun rolls her eyes before attending a call on her phone.

"Merci," Secretary Kim says, taking the keycard from the hotel staff. He passes the card towards Minhee and smiles, "Here Ms Yoon."

Minhee sighs, taking the card key from him. After calling Dahyun to get all her cards cancelled, Jeongguk asked Secretary Kim to arrange for another key for her. So, here they were at the reception, getting things sorted.

"Thank you..."

The elder just bows and waits there. "Do you have enough cash with you?"

Minhee bites her lips, "I have a few hundred euros...in my handbag."

Secretary Kim nods, taking out his wallet. "That won't do, here—"

"Secretary Kim," Minhee places a hand on his, to stop him from removing any money. "You're crossing a line."

Secretary Kim furrows his eyebrows, "Am I?"

Minhee retracts her hand and the elder bows slightly, "I apologise if you found me rude but I just thought you would need some cash. Even though you have your secretary, she'll not always be around...so..." he shrugs.

Minhee sighs. Kim notices her hesitance. He forgot how it feels to accept someone else's money when people do not expect you to be on the receiving end. "Take it as a friend giving it to you."

"Excuse me?" Minhee says with a tone laced in offence, furrowing her eyebrows.

The man laughs, "Well imagine it that way...and not Mr Jeon's secretary. You can pay me back once we are back in Korea."

Minhee stares at the few notes in his hand, contemplating for a moment before taking it. She is so embarrassed at her actions, so stupid to get drunk like that. "...Thank you..."

"You know where to find me if you need my assistance," he bows and walks away.

Sometimes she wonders if one of these two Kims are adopted because they are so different in the ways they carry themselves but then their faces say otherwise. Both are handsome, she won't believe if someone says those genes are from two different sets of parents.

...

Jeongguk knows he probably shouldn't. He was supposed to go alone, supposed to do what he planned to do but he is afraid.

Afraid he might not be able to do it alone.