|𝟮𝟰| 𝗚𝘂𝗺𝗺i𝗲𝘀

(2 Years Ago)

(2 Years Ago)

It was Sunday and dad would usually take us out for ice cream, or at least Gio.

I would usually get something else but I stopped caring about my lactose intolerance a while ago and would just fight through the pain when my stomach started to hurt later on.

But today, which was not the first time, dad didn't come home. And me and momma knew that he was at the bar.

I secretly prayed yesterday that he would stay at the bar longer and that prayer came true.

I didn't want mom and dad to get into another argument again.

Because it almost always escalated and it almost always ended up with momma having bruises.

And then I would have to pretend not to see them and go back to normal like dad wasn't a horrible person and didn't just hit the love of his life.

But I know that last part couldn't possibly be true because what person that loves someone so much, abuses the other?

Me, Gio, and mom were all in the kitchen. Gio sitting on the island chair, her head in her hands as she watched me and mom move around the kitchen, getting the cake ingredients ready.

Today was Gio's birthday and every birthday me and momma made a cake for her.

"How many layers should we do?" Mom tapped her chin and pretended to think about it but really she was just waiting for Gio to shout a number out.

"Hm...how about 3" Gio said, smiling.

I raise my eyebrows and momma does to. "Since when do you say an actual realistic number?" I question.

She always shouts out big numbers like ten or twenty on her previous birthdays and then me and momma would have to talk her down to four or five.

Gio shrugged. "Since I'm not a little kid anymore. I'm thirteen for crying out loud!"

I glanced at mom and she glanced at me and then we both looked at Gio and then we both covered our mouths and pretended to be sad.

"Oh lord, when did you get so big!" we both said. Then me and momma looked at eachother and bursted out laughing.

Gio rolled her eyes. "I've always been big. You've just never been here to see it," she mumbled that last part so momma wouldn't hear when she continues to get the ingredients out.