|𝟮𝟳| 𝗦𝘂𝗻𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗲

I didn't realize I was crying until I felt the pad of Enzo's thumb under my eye, wiping away the tears that I cried for him that I had no business crying because I shouldn't be crying

He should be crying.

But when I look in his eyes, our gazes meeting. His eyes are dry. Not a single tear in sight. He's emotionless. And I feel for him.

"Enzo..." I trail off, looking at him as he slouches against the bars under the protective railing that keeps people from falling off of this really really tall building we're currently sitting on the edge of, our feet dangling towards the streets below.

"You know the rest," he continues, like everything he just told me was no big deal. "Except for the part where I was in the ICU for months. I had blisters all over my back and they did this thing called dressing. I remember that hurting like a son of a bitch. I screamed so loudly that I'm pretty sure the entire hospital could hear me," he chuckled. It was a heartless chuckle and I've never heard him sound so empty and so emotionless. It kind of scared me.

"And then after all of that, I was put in foster homes for four years until I was ten and placed with the Peters. And...well...you know what happens." He starts mindlessly picking at the end of his shirt, not meeting my eyes.

I feel like I can't breath. My breaths get caught in my throat and the sob that wants to escape from my chest never does. I want to cry for him so badly. I want to hug him and hold him as close to me as humanly possible. I want to make him feel better. I know that won't happen though.

"Don't cry." Enzo was looking into my eyes now.

I wanted to cry for him. I wanted to cry so god dang badly.

"Enzo-" I started.

"If you cry, I'll cry and then we'll both be crying and it'll be one big snooze fess." he stated simply. And I couldn't help but laugh. Which, if I didn't know better, I could see the hint of a smile on his face.

I take his hand in mine and squeeze. "I'm so sorry..." I say quietly, looking down at his hand in my lap. What do you say to something like that? What do you say after finding all of that out?

Enzo shrugs. "Whats done is done. Can't change it. I'll always have these scars on my back and I'll always be a guy who had a fucked up childhood and an over all fucked up life...there's nothing I can do about it. But what I can do..." he slowly trails off and I look up at him to meet his eyes. "Is ask about you."

"About me?" I say slowly.

He nods. "Just tell me something I don't know. Tell me something to lighten the mood. The sun will be up soon so let's just talk before daylight."