16

Nathaniel fell asleep during the ride back to Caleb's place

Nathaniel fell asleep during the ride back to Caleb's place. He wanted to take him home because he was scared about him chocking on his puke or something.

He is about to pass out as we hold him over our shoulders and bring him to his brother's apartment. "Can you hold him for me to unlock the door real quick?" He asks me.

Nathaniel's whole weight is on me in the next moment and I thank god that I am able to hold him up. He groans in my neck as I push him in his stomach by accident. "Sorry." I whisper.

Another groan when Caleb takes him away from me and gets him into the apartment, straight onto the sofa. Nathaniel lays on his back as he takes his shoes off and looks at Caleb who tries to find a blanket I assume.

Only then I notice the lip stain on the collar of his white dress shirt. He still wears the baby blue dress pants from the gala and his white dress shirt.

The red lipstick. It shouldn't be a pang I feel in my chest at the sight. I shouldn't care. I shouldn't think who it is. Is it a girlfriend? Is it a fling? A hooker?

Caleb finally finds a blanket and hands it over to Nathaniel. But the man on the sofa stretches his arm out, grabs his brother's neck and pulls him down to him. "We're okay, right? Are you okay?" He asks Caleb. "I'm okay, Nate. We both are."

"We're standing above this. We did it, Caleb. Right?" Caleb gets on his knees in front of his brother, Nathaniel sits up and they both look at each other.

I am standing in a corner where they can't see me but I can see and hear them. "We're standing above it, yeah. We always do." Caleb tells him. And then Nathaniel grabs him by the shoulders and pulls him into a hug.

It feels wrong to watch such a moment. It's weird and unfamiliar to see this man like this. May it be the alcohol or his emotions.

Maybe this is him. Not the emotionless bastard or the sarcastic asshole he always lets us see during training. I think that I am just witnessing a Nathaniel Parker that isn't seen often.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to ruin your night. I didn't mean to snap at you while changing at the gala." He tells him still with his arms around his brother's back. "You didn't ruin anything, Nate. And it's my fault. I shouldn't have brought her up and I won't do it again. You can talk to me about her tho. Whenever you need to."

"I will never bring that person up again. Never." Who? Who is he talking about? "Okay." Caleb simply answers.

This conversation becomes too personal to me. Too private for my ears. So I go back into Caleb's bedroom, take off his shirt and get into bed. While I lay there I think about everything since I have known Parker.

He is bipolar. There's no doubt on that. He's not always rude. He just can't say things in a nice way. The first day I met him? When he told me to take off my bracelet. The only thing he wanted to do was to let me know that the bandage would press onto the bracelet and it would hurt me. And it did.

He fixed my sports bra. That probably wasn't out of niceness. The only thing where he was rude was at shooting practice. When he made assumptions about my past and my family.

He cut something deep there but maybe I triggered it.

"Hey." Caleb comes in after he opens the door quietly. "Hi." He comes to his side of the bed, gets under the sheets and pulls me towards him. "Is he always like that? Does he drink often?"

"Nate doesn't drink. Normally. He is the only person I know with such an amount of self control. He has everything planned. Never makes any excuses. It's rather unusual to see him like this," Caleb keeps quiet for a while.

"it's scary even. He scares me because this outside isn't my brother. That's a wreck. A vulnerable wreck." He pulls me even closer to him after that.

So I turn around in his hold to look at him. "You two take good care of one another?" I ask and already knew the answer before he nodded and smiled a little. "He is the most important person in my life. We would do anything for one another."

I noticed that. I don't know if I should ask what I am about to ask. I don't know if it will make him upset. But I am just too curious to not ask. "What did he mean outside? What did you stand above?"

He obviously didn't expect this answer. I know it from the way he stills and looks me in the eyes. I see the trouble in his eyes. I see how hard that question was for him.

"Sorry. I shouldn't have asked that." I wanted to turn away from him. Wanted to give him some space. Wanted him to know that I won't pressure him.

But he keeps his arms where they are around me and pulls me back again. "Let's just say that Nate and I have gone through pretty much shit in the past. It left some scars. Even more inside than outside. Especially for him."

I am really trying my luck right now. "Who, who were you talking about outside?" I ask him. Who is the cause of their fight? Caleb grabs my face and pulls me in for a kiss. "I'm sorry, Nevaeh. That's something I won't and can't tell you... I promised him, I-"

"Hey, hey." I cut him off as I cup his face. "Don't apologize. It's okay for you to not want to tell me. You don't have to."

The man thanks me and then eventually falls asleep next to me after half an hour while I lay wide awake and try to figure out what happened.

______________

Mysterious....

Hehhehehe what do we say?

I love you!