Don't mess with our young Pt. 3

Chapter 54:

---

{The next gruelling hours stuck inside a cell in a cold and dark basement, with the only light sources being dim light from a brazier that's kindling its last firewood, and a flickering light bulb hanging overhead that was hurting Andrew's eyes, was scary, if not horrifying}

Because of his condition, when that exhausted light bulb occasionally shuts off for long periods of time, Andrew couldn't see anything. Not even the brazier's flame, which was just a mere blurry orange orb to his eyes. He huddles next to the brazier, and hugs himself for warmth.

The brazier was out of his cell, and located beside the corner side of the bars. His guards only put in one or two large firewood at a time, but after a while, the guards stopped coming. After the last guard entered and refilled the brazier, a few minutes after, Andrew could hear high-pitched whooping and cheering of people that he usually heard in civil war reenactments.

In the time that followed, no more guards came. He's reduced to ripping some bits of his clothes to kindle the flame, yet the more he rips the seams of his uniform, the more he gets exposed, and feel more drafty.

However, during his stay in the cage that's presumably for a large animal like a bear or a horse or whatever, in a dark basement where it's almost pitch-black, he never once cried, or sobbed. He only wept. He felt angry and ashamed at himself for failing Ray and getting caught.

The thoughts that keep him together was the hope that Ray would eventually come and save him, and that he has to stay strong for Mako. The early memories he shared with the two of them help him cope with his current situation. He enjoyed the times he spent with them together, and as well as the friends he made along the way.

He wishes that he could read the pocket book of Zombie Exodus, but since he can barely read the pages, and hell, he ripped some of the pages off to use it to prolong the fire, he could not. He's not proud of it since the prologue was his favourite chapter, but he has a lot of books in his dormitory room.

As Andrew huddled up in his corner, his knees touching his chin as he sinks his head in them, he suddenly hears rattling at the door. He smiles hopefully, thinking it was Ray or some of his soldiers that came to his rescue.

As the person from the other side removes the locks and swings the door open – the light outside blinding him temporarily, his smile drops when he only saw a guard.

A burly one at that. He must be a gunner.

Actually, there are more guards coming in! Are they finally coming to do him in or relocate him somewhere deep into their region? No. They actually brought more prisoners in.

He felt outraged, yet he can't do anything because he's so thirsty and hungry, and his body wasn't properly denumbed that he can't muster up the strength to stand up. All he can do was sit and watch by the brazier, as the guards escort the new batch of prisoners in.

When his eyes adjust to the light, however, that's when he recognises who the prisoners are.

They're the Rabbit Team! Their hands are tied and they look very terrified as the guards lead them into their cell room. Their cell room is close to his cage, yet theirs are more spacious and comfortable than Andrew's.

Aside from what's essentially a claustrophobic cage for a single horse or animal, their cage has enough room for the six of them, and enough room for one of them to pace around in a panic.

One of the freshmen, Saki, is unconscious, and was carried via bridal carry by one of the guards. After they put the freshmen into their cells, and the guard lays Saki down gently on a bed made out of cardboard, the guards then pick up a brazier pot, and after dropping approximately five or more pieces of firewood into the pot, they light it up.