Welcome to Ha'nei

Chapter 43:

---

They enter inside the negotiations tent, where they discover the Saunders team already situated into their seats. From the right side, Brian sits in between his brother, Chuck, and Kay. Presumably, she's the forthright tank commander. Kinda odd how Anzu, who clarified that she is not the current commander, would be attending, and maybe even leading this meeting with her manipulative ways.

Just by the end of the table is a woman with a bobcut, wearing rounded glasses, and is holding a clipboard. It was Kanon Sasagawa. She gestures to the left side, where three unoccupied seats are located. Ray takes the middle, Anzu takes the leftmost seat, and Andrew takes the right.

Currently, these negotiators are in direct eye contact with one another, with coinciding roles to fit it. Anzu and Kay are more relaxed and are more interested in either their Generals or the insides of this tent. Brian leans forward against the table, looking at Ray sternly in the eyes. Ray is composed and is not intimidated by Brian's stern eye contact. Chuck squints and narrows his eyes at Andrew, who is greatly intimidated, and slides close to Ray for comfort. Chuck never let that grudge go, has he?

Kanon starts the meeting. She clears her throat, then brings the clipboard up.

---

Kanon: "Alright, players, I'm confident that you already know the basics of negotiations, so I won't have to explain it to you, however, I will explain what happens in this negotiation. You will have two hours to decide on which rule of engagement should be approved, or vetoed. This includes rather unusual, rather brutal methods of engagements such as the use of civilians as outpost combatants, the excessive use of artillery shelling or aerial bombing, intense forest combat action, and many more.

"It is up to either of you to decide which rule should be approved or vetoed, and keep in mind: I'm neutral in all of this. Don't expect me to back you or the other team up, I'm just here to approve or veto rules.

"You have fifteen rules of engagements waiting to be approved or not, and if we managed to decide on what we should do with them, then the battle starts early. However, if not, then Major Ash granted me permission to either approve or deny any rule I fancy.

"Impromptu fighting and personal insults are not allowed, and anger should be shown on the battlefield, not in formal meetings like this. A violation of these rules, as well as the current rules we have in Hohei-Dō-albeit ancient or modern, will grant you a war penalty. If you get three, your entire army gets disqualified. All branches included, as well as the Sensha-Dō team.

"Now then, before I ramble on, let the negotiations begin. Ooarai, you may have the leading voice for now."

*Her rather robotic tone and fast-paced way of speaking confused the two teams. Ray leans towards Anzu and whispers.*

Ray: "Why is she speaking like that?"

Anzu: "It's her verbal, I think. Ahem, what's the first rule we have, ma'am?"

*Kanon skims the clipboard, and brings up the first rule.*

Kanon: "'Rule 1: Permit the use of civilian combatants for outpost or fort protection.' Meaning that civilians can act as guards for your bases, but only towards outposts and forts, and allows them to fight your opponents either by self-defense or by orders."

Anzu: "Oh! I like this one! Ahem... I agree with that rule because, well, the civilians did not ask to be in this kind of place, and therefore not allowing them to fight would just make them vulnerable to rather...rowdy soldiers."