Smile and optimism restored

Chapter 38:

---

Ray woke up, more rejuvenated and happy than ever before. In fact, it felt like he is about to attend his first day without getting forced to do anything. It's as if his enthusiasm has been restored.

All thanks to a certain best friend that returned from the dead and into his spirit guardian. He rises up from his bed, and looks at the body pillow he was hugging.

No one was there.

He scans his home, and nobody was there with him. Instantly, his mood changed, and he returns to his normal forced-optimistic state. He sighs, and muttered something about him going insane and hallucinating someone that died a long time ago.

He continues his morning routine as normal, only slightly more depressed this time. He could barely lift his spoon, even though it has no hunks of food on it, and he was this close to breaking down, but since he needs to attend school, and can't risk having the gate closed on his face, he puts on a khaki button-up shirt with his stars set on the collar, a pair of matching coloured breeches, black calf-high boots, and instead of a tie—he wears the gold revolver latch. Said revolver remains holstered on his belt to his side.

Putting on his glasses, his bag, and his peaked cap, he looks back into his home, and sighs once more.

---

Ray: "Hallucinating my best friend... I've gone insane."

*He twists the door knob, and leaves his apartment, only to get startled by Sayori herself waiting outside the door.*

Sayori: "Boo!"

Ray: "Agh! Fuck! You!... Grrr!"

*She giggles as Ray puts his hand over his chest, having a slight heart attack.*

Sayori: "I got you! It's the second time I succeeded in scaring you!"

Ray: "Oh, go fuck yourself, you adorable idiot. You could've killed me!"

Sayori: "Hey! That would be awesome! We can both be ghosts!"

Ray: "Egh..."

*Two familiar voices from down below then calls out to him; it was John and James. Ray rushed over to the banisters to see them waiting for him, with bewildered expressions.*

John: "Uh, Ray? Who was that you're talking to?"

Ray: "It's no one, guys! Just my neighbour, no biggie."

James: "You...talk like that to your neighbour? I mean, I can't blame you, but your tone sounded as if you're best friends or something."

*Ray changes the topic before they get suspicious of his subsequent schizophrenia.*

Ray: "What are you guys doing here?"

John: "Here to pick you up! You were late for school, and the others have went to their battle stations. Remember, we have a desensitisation course, about moving through forests under heavy fire."

Ray: "Oh, right, I...almost forgot. Look, I'll be down there in a sec, okay? I just need to lock my door."

---