Chapter 14: Mother Knows Best

Zak

 I'm happy that she invited me here. I think our friendship is going strong. I mean, she used to not even acknowledge me but now we've become close friends to the point where she invited me to a family gathering. She even said we were friends when she told her sister I was coming.

 Right now, we're just in the living room. I feel my phone vibrating and see that it's my mom.

 I answer hesitantly nervous to hear what she has to say.

 "Hey, Mom." Danni turns her attention towards me.

"Zak, honey, are you not home?"

 "No, I'm not."

"When will you be home?"

 "In about two weeks."

"What? Why? Where are you?"

 "I'm in Florida. I was invited by a friend to visit her sister for Thanksgiving since you said you and Dad wouldn't be able to make it home."

"Zak, we were trying to surprise you."

 "Well, how was I supposed to know that? Every other time you said you'd come home for a holiday you ended up not coming back. I'm sorry that I made plans based on what you told me."

 She sighs. "Your friend, she's a girl right?"

 "Yeah, why?"

"Can I talk to her?"

 "I guess so." I hand Danni the phone. "She wants to talk to you."

 "Okay..." She takes the phone. "Daniella, but I go by Danni for short."

 "How do you want me to do that?" She says.

 "I'm sorry but I can't do that. Unfortunately, I do not make a lot of money. I didn't take a plane. I had to drive here from Jersey. I drove my car and bought my own gas with the money that I worked very hard for. Just because you're rich doesn't mean you get a say in what I do with my money." She says.

 "Yeah, because he was crying. He thought you weren't coming home. I'm not gonna sit there and let him cry. You'll get to see him for Christmas."

 "Well, it's not my fault you said you couldn't make it." She hands the phone back to me.

 "Mom, I got to go. I'll see you eventually." I tell her and hang up.

 "Oh my gosh. I shouldn't have yelled at her. Text her and tell her I said sorry for yelling at her." I text her. "I'm sorry, she was just getting on my nerves."

 "What'd she say to you?"

 "She told me I had to buy you a ticket home because I was the one who brought you here and then I told her I drove here and paid for my gas. Then she starts telling me that I'm too broke to be your friend since I can't afford a plane ticket. Then she said my mother should've paid for my gas instead of, and I quote, 'being a cheap ass' and making me do it. She had no right to talk about my mother that way."

 "Danni, I'm sorry."

 "It's not your fault. I'm gonna go get another slice of cake. I'll be back."

Me: why would you say those things to Danni?

mom: I just told her the truth

Me: that she's too broke to be my friend and that her mom is a cheap ass? those things are far from the truth. she works hard for the money she has and her mom is trying to teach her responsibility for the real world. you had no right to talk about her mother like that. you don't even know her.

mom: I don't have to know her. I know the type.

Me: wtf mom?

mom: she deserved it

Me: What has she done to you?

mom: she took you away from me

Me: you left me a long time ago not the other way around

 I debate whether I should block her number but I don't. I just ignore her next thirty messages.

 Danni comes back with two slices of cake.

 "Are one of those for me?" I ask. She shakes her head.

 Fair enough.

 "I'm sorry, Danni."

 "Don't be, I just need to cool down."

 "Okay." I scoot closer to her to give her a hug which she doesn't reciprocate but I can tell she relaxed slightly.

 "You can have the rest." She says. "If I eat more, I'm gonna have a stomach ache."

 "Okay." I take the plate away from her and finish her cake. Once I'm done, I sit right next to her. She turns away so I hug her from behind.

 I don't know what happens next because I fall asleep.

***

Uh oh!

His mom doesn't like Danni

I wonder what's gonna happen there

Please don't be afraid to comment and vote, both are very much appreciated. 

I think once I finish writing the next book I'll start doing daily uploads 

The second book will probably be finished writing sometime this month hopefully but you can never predict writer's block. 

780 words.