Chapter 17 - Blood debt (2)

Start from the beginning

"No, I'm Roran's father and he will do as I say!"

"Enough!" Roran's voice echoed through the dungeon, loud and clear. "I'm not related to any of you."

All three stopped and stared at Roran, stunned by his outburst.

Taking advantage of the silence, Roran went on. "I was raised by my mother. She is the only parent I have ever had."

Murrin recovered first. Clearing his throat, he said, "Maybe not until now, but I'm trying to make up for that. We share blood after all."

"No, we don't. My existence is not some accident of my mother's work. She found a man she wanted to be my father, and conceived me as a result. I may not know his name, but I know that it wasn't anybody from Millgrove."

"There's no way she could be sure of that," said Dorval. "The timing, I mean, we, she and I...you have to be mine."

Roran shook his head. "She was always careful with her contraception. The only time it didn't work was the time she didn't want to. She met a man, fell in love with him, and he gave her a child, me."

"And where did she meet this man?" asked Murrin, his arrogance coming back.

"On one of her adventures, before she settled down."

"Oh, please, don't tell me you still believe those childish stories." A look of impatience had settled onto Kamil's face. "She was a whore. The only adventures she went on were to brothels where she could make more money before coming back to Millgrove to pretend she was a real person. It's embarrassing that you actually believe the lies she told."

"They weren't lies."

"Enough child," said Murrin. "Let the adults sort this out. Just go sit in your corner and contemplate your failure today."

Utterly lost for words, Roran gave up. These people couldn't be reasoned with. He left the argument to the three lunatics claiming ownership of him and went to his spot against the wall.

Settling down, he noticed that Sephyr and Toth were watching him. They too had seen him fight in the Troll's Gambit. He wondered what they thought. Not that it mattered. Kamil and Celine would keep either of them from talking to him. Exhausted and miserable, Roran fell into a sleep plagued with dreams of the Crucible.

After what felt like hours, he was jerked out of the fitful sleep by screaming. He bolted upright, his hand going for the dagger in his boot. Kamil was standing by the door, screaming.

"Stop, you'll kill him! Please, stop!"

Roran was on his feet in seconds, the dagger flashing in his hand. He ran to the door, which was open, and out into the hallway. He found Murrin curled up on the ground clutching his stomach with a warden standing over him. The warden reared back and kicked Murrin, causing him to cry out in pain.

Moving on instinct, Roran ran, slamming his body until the warden and forcing him back. He took up a position between Murrin and the warden, one hand up and palm out, the other gripping the dagger.

"Stop, that's enough."

Recovering from the surprise attack, the warden drew his sword and turned on Roran, blade at the ready. Realizing who it was he was facing, the warden hesitated, his eyes darting to Roran's dagger.

"Please," said Roran, "we can sort this out. Please stop."

The warden continued to stare at Roran, frowning. Roran lowered his dagger.

"Please, I don't know what happened, but we can sort this out. Nobody needs to die."

The warden licked his lips and said, "Relax, I'm not about to fight you, especially not you. We can end this here."

Roran nodded. "Thank you."

"Do you know what he did?"

Roran looked back at Murrin, curled up on the ground and gasping in pain. Roran shook his head.

"He committed an offense that normally comes with execution. And you committed an offense that normally comes with heavy fines. I know you're not dumb enough to play along with a stupid plan like this, but you need to be more careful. These are not easily replaced."

The warden reached into his pocket and pulled out an oversized favor. He flipped it over and showed the face to Roran. His own face stared back. Roran's blood went cold as the warden handed his marker medallion back to him.

"Trying to pass off a stolen marker medallion is a crime punishable by death. Don't let this idiot forget that."

The warden sheathed his sword and gestured towards the door. Murrin started crawling back towards the dungeon. Kamil came out and helped him, dragging him back inside.

Roran stood there stunned, staring at his marker medallion. How had Murrin gotten it? When had it left his possession? He never took it out of his pocket unless he was using it, and then it went right back in. How?

"Don't let it happen again."

"Yes, thank you," said Roran, feeling numb. "I'm sorry for the trouble he caused."

"Just win the next round and we'll call it even. I've got money riding on you Roran."

Dazed and confused, Roran went back into the dungeon and the door slammed shut behind him.