Mark looks at the clock. "One minute." He says. "If I don't get to tell you later, I love you. I love you so much, Scotty."

"I love you too, sweetheart."

"10 seconds," Mark says. "Kiss me?"

"Of course," Scott leans in.

As they kiss, they hear the remaining 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

Upon hearing "Happy New Year!" Scott feels Mark push against his chest.

Scott pulls away, searches Mark's features.

Mark stares at Scott, then puts his hand on his forehead. He lets out a loud sigh. "I'm sorry. I don't remember." Mark says. "Ah, my head."

"Oh, here, let me grab you ibuprofen." Scott says. He's quick to go to get the two pills and a glass of water, giving them to Mark.

"Thank you, but that won't help," Mark says. "See, I have this curse-"

"You told me," Scott nods.

"I-oh. I'm so sorry, uh-?"

"Scott. My name is Scott."

"I'm sorry, Scott. You took a chance by being with me through the end of the year?"

Scott nods. "I thought we'd be soulmates. But, if we're not soulmates, then, so be it. I'll take you home."

"Thank you."

Scott holds his pillow, tears spilling out of his eyes.

He stares at the ring box that holds the very ring he would have given to Mark, had he remembered.

Had they been soulmates.

He pulls the pillow tighter, and sobs harder.

Mark is cleaning out his phone when he stumbles on him and Scott's messages.

s: good morning beautiful

m: good morning handsome. you beat me to it today:)

s: i missed u yesterday. can't wait to see you today!

m: i missed you too baby
m: can i actually come over early?

s: of course sweetheart
s: you have my key:)

Wait. Does he still have Scott's key?

He looks at his car keys, and sure enough, there's a key with a bright blue S written on it with sharpie.

m: hi, scott. i think i still have a key to your house?
m: also thank you for driving me home last week!

s: oh, uhh, don't worry about it. just toss it.

m: i'm happy to bring it back. i know these are a pain to get copies of. what's your address?

What Mark doesn't expect when Scott opens the door, is a hug.

"Uh, I have your key," Mark says.

"I'm sorry," Scott says. "I'm normally not like this when broken up with, but, can I hold on just a little longer?"

Mark feels awful. He hugs Scott back. "Sure. I'm sorry, Scott."

Scott just cries into Mark's shoulder for a moment, not wanting to let go, despite Mark not remembering all of the sweet memories they've shared.

Scott steps away. "I'm so sorry, Mark. I probably look insane to you."

"I can't really say how I'd feel, but...I know it's not easy," Mark says. "I'm sorry I hurt you."

A week or so later, it's cold, and Mark puts on the biggest hoodie he can find.

He smells a cologne that's not his own on it, and that's all it takes. He feels a wave of familiarity flood through his body, and:

"Oh my god," he says out loud. "Oh my god!"

fin