Chapter 35: Finale

The epilogue will be up next! Look forward to it. 🥰😊

The Finale

Elijah stirred and woke up abruptly when he felt something warm and wet on his back. Elijah turned his head to check and was surprised to see Devon buried on Elijah's back, silently crying. "Dev, what's wrong? Why are you crying? Did someone hurt you?" Elijah asked in a slight panic and got up, but Devon just shook his head and buried his face on Elijah's stomach.

Elijah rubbed his sleepiness away and softly stroked Devon's hair. "Don't cry, Dev. It hurts me too," Elijah said in a whisper and drew soothing circles on Devon's back, but Devon was inconsolable. Devon just tightened his hold on Elijah, afraid that Elijah will go somewhere and leave Devon.

"Okay, I won't force you. Don't worry, I'm here. I won't leave," Elijah said with a sigh and an understanding nod.

Devon just inhaled sharply and did his best to control his emotions. Devon can honestly say that this is the most painful heartache he ever felt since he was forced to leave Elijah. I love you more than anything, sunshine. I can't begin to apologize for all the things I did to you.

Elijah remembered that Ryzel hums a song whenever Elijah is having a breakdown, so that's what Elijah did. Light as a feather and soft as a cloud, Elijah's voice filled the morning air. Gradually, Devon can feel his heartbeat slowing down and his eyelids becoming heavier.

An hour ago,

Devon turned to the next page and swallowed hard when he saw Elijah's scribbles. It was almost unreadable because of the tear stains. The first entry reads:

It hurts.

A sharp pain crossed Devon's chest. With a heavy chest, Devon forced himself to flip the next page. There were tear stains on the words as well, but Devon was still able to read them.

My heart feels like it's being broken to pieces. It hurts so much, Dev.

Next page. Same as the first few pages, the words were blurry.

Grammie came. She wants me to eat, but I don't feel like eating. But when she brought me a plate of cookies... the same ones you bake for me... I cried so hard.

Devon flipped the next page anxiously.

It's 1:30 am. I can't sleep. My heart hurts so much, it's getting harder to breathe. I feel so alone, Dev. Where are you? Why did you leave me?

Next entry.

I threw up again. I can't eat anything except the cookies you made. Grammie says I'm losing weight, but my body rejects food. I don't feel hungry. I can't sleep. I'm so tired.

When will you come back, Dev? I feel like I could eat a lot if you're around. Come home soon, please?

Devon sucked a breath and squeezed his eyes, then blinked away the tears. Reading Elijah's journal is tearing Devon's heart to pieces, but Devon believes that he deserves it. He deserves the pain.

Devon flipped to the next page with trembling fingers.

It's been five days since you left me, Dev. Five days that I have been missing you so much. I was able to sleep for three hours because I made a nest out of your shirts. Your scent calms me down, Dev, but I will still choose your warm embrace to your shirts.