Chapter 20

Chapter 20

"Grammie, I miss Ryzel," Elijah blurted out of the blue. Amanda and Elijah were in the living room; Elijah was preoccupied with the new science and astronomy books Amanda bought, while Amanda was busy asking for updates on Devon.

Amanda almost dropped her phone but managed to keep her cool. "Do you want to see him, Eli?"

Elijah smiled sadly and nodded. "I want to know if he's okay, if he's eating well, and if he's not hurt. He's also my important person, grammie. Ryzel took care of me, and I wouldn't know what to do if something bad happened to him."

Guilt was gnawing Amanda's insides. She wanted so bad to tell Elijah that she knew where Ryzel is, but they can't let their guard down. A piece of new information arrived earlier that the organization will begin a manhunt on Elijah, even if their hostage is yet to recover from a coma. Based on their calculations, something big will happen in a month.

No matter how much Amanda wanted to let Ryzel and Elijah meet, now is not the time. However, an idea popped into her mind when she saw Elijah playing on his phone.

"Eli?"

Elijah turned to Amanda, curious about what she's going to say. He locked his phone and placed it on the table. "Yes, grammie?"

Amanda smiled at Elijah's thoughtfulness. "Why don't you send a video message to Ryzel? We can give it to him when we find him, and I am a hundred percent sure that he will come running to you once he watched your message," Amanda suggested. It was a safe method to ease the boy's worries and prevent Ryzel from slipping out of the HQ just to see Elijah.

The suggestion made Elijah's expression lit up. "That's a very good idea, grammie! Let's do that. Ryzel will be able to know that I am doing well, and I also have to tell him about Devon. He's not a grumpy monster anymore, grammie. He's always smiling, and he makes me happy," Elijah added with a soft giggle and a faint blush on his cheeks.

Amanda smiled at the good news, even though Devon emitted a terrifying aura and bloodlust just last night. He's only like that to you, Eli, Amanda wanted to voice out but decided against it. Instead, she prepared her phone and when Elijah was good to go, they started the recording.

A few hours later,
Five in the afternoon

Elijah let out a happy squeal when he saw Devon entering the living room. Elijah and Amanda had just finished baking some cookies when Devon arrived.

"Dev! You're home!" Devon let go of his coat to catch Elijah when the latter ran to him happily with a giggle. All of the things burdening his heart lightened when Devon finally saw his sunshine and light.

"Sunshine, be careful. You promised," Devon reminded Elijah, and with a gasp, the boy came to halt successfully, five feet away from Devon, and grinned at the frowning man. Elijah decided to walk this time, a bit slower, but jumped on Devon when the latter was within his reach.

Devon automatically lifted Elijah and chuckled when he noticed traces of flour on Elijah's cheeks. "What were you doing, sunshine?"

Elijah giggled when Devon wiped the flour away from his cheeks and smiled. "Grammie and I were baking cookies, Dev. You like cookies too, right? So I asked grammie to help me, but..." Elijah turned to Amanda and smiled apologetically.

Amanda chuckled and took off her apron. "Elijah needs... training. He'll do better, don't worry."

Devon nodded and put Elijah down. "Can you get me a glass of water, sunshine?" Elijah nodded cheerfully and went to the kitchen.