Chapter 8

The song is just so on-point. Ugh! Hahaha

Chapter 8

Shocked. Perplexed. Bewildered.

These emotions went beyond what Devon felt as of the moment when he learned that the owner of those baby blues... the person that took his breath away... the innocent and adorable boy that sent electric sparks to his system... was none other than Elijah Thompson-- the person Devon's grandparents told him to babysit.

This is one of the times where Devon regretted not reading the file given to him by his grandmother. The other time would be going to the airport for his flight, not checking that his schedule was for tomorrow's. Yes, he takes the commercial flight just like any normal person.

Devon narrowed his eyes. Yes. He is observing Elijah, like a lion does to its prey. Devon wants to know what Elijah did to make his grandparents fawn over Elijah. Bitter memories of Devon's ex flashed in his mind, Jamie's innocent but deadly face overlapping with Elijah. That made Devon scowl as he stared hard at the boy, as he sat in the dimmed corner of the bar.

Elijah was busy helping Mina wipe the glasses and arranged the bottles of alcohol when the girl nudged Elijah's shoulders. Elijah placed the glass back to its place before glancing at Mina with a smile.

"Yes?"

"Eli, did you know that guy? The one you bumped into?" Mina asked in a whisper and Elijah shook his head.

Elijah knitted his brows and faced Mina, confused as to why she was whispering. Both of them were new recruits, so Stefan put them in the same shift.

"Why are you whispering? Does your throat hurt? And no, I don't know that mister. He looks kind though," Elijah swooned for a moment before remembering that Mina might have a sore throat because she was not talking very loud. "Do you want some ginger, or turmeric? I have read that it helps with sore throats," Elijah offered and Mina stared at him in confusion.

"Your throat hurts, Eli?" Mina asked and Elijah shook his head.

"No. Your throat hurts." Elijah pressed and narrowed his eyes on the girl taller than him.

Mina's crescent-shaped eyes and black hair spoke so much about the girl's Asian ancestry and descent, but she is very fluent in English. She looks kind too, from Elijah's perspective. Mina still assisted Elijah when the latter was changing the bulb earlier. Mina held the step ladder for Elijah, so Elijah is very grateful.

Mina's black set of eyes sparkled in amusement. She folded her arms and raised her brow. "Okay, before this conversation goes round and round. Why do you think I have a sore throat?"

"You were whispering. I just assumed that you were saving your voice." Elijah shrugged, and he became even more confused when Mina burst into laughter.

Mina waved her hands dismissively and the girl heaved a deep breath after a wheeze. Elijah just stared at Mina quizzically, still unable to comprehend what made his colleague laugh.

Mina grinned and gestured to Elijah to come closer, which the latter obliged. On the other hand, Devon almost crushed the glass he was holding when he noticed that the girl leaned over Elijah's ear for a whisper. Of course, Devon was pissed.

He doesn't understand why, but his jaw ticked when that girl invaded Elijah's personal space. A part of him rebelled at the sight, while the majority of him was convinced that he was just annoyed because Elijah is not that innocent after all. Psh. Flirting during work?

Unacceptable.

Moreover, the two are giggling, while stealing glances at Devon's direction. When Elijah locked gazes with Devon, the latter raised his brow, his expression empty and his stares blank.