Chapter 10

Vote and comment. Enjoy!

Chapter 10

Elijah

For the nth time, he released a deep sigh. He put on his uniform and after preparing all his essentials, he slung his backpack over his shoulders and headed downstairs.

It has almost been a week since he rejected Devon's invite to go for a ride. It has been a week since he started to avoid Devon, which was easy because it has also been a week since he saw the stoic man.

Elijah can't help but think that it's his fault. He was just being careful. He doesn't want Devon to be exposed to danger by being with him.

The memory of Elijah and his nanny's escape from that hellhole kept on resurfacing that it still gives him night terrors. He would always wake up in the dead of the night, his cheeks coated with tears, his body trembling, and feeling so cold and alone.

He shook his head to keep the bad thoughts away. Today is another day. He should embrace a positive attitude, especially later. Another branch of Enchaines in New York needs to augment its workforce since the branch was holding an exclusive event for its members.

"Hey, Eli! Good morning! I cooked us some breakfast," Mina untied and folded her apron, and placed it on the kitchen countertop.

Elijah waved at his friend and gave Mina a huge grin. He offered Mina a place to stay when Mina mentioned in passing that she's still searching for a place to live temporarily. He also asked permission from Stefan if Mina could stay with him, and Stefan agreed.

Mina has been staying with him for two days now, ever since he got discharged. During that time, she confessed that she was not an ordinary employee. He still gets amazed every time he recounts that day.

It was his second day of being admitted to the hospital. He was feeling a bit down because he rejected Devon the night before, causing him to lack quality sleep. Guilt was gnawing his insides, so instead of trying to sleep, he just watched Phineas and Ferb on TV.

He asked Mina to download all of the seasons for the amazing animated show, including the crossovers, special episodes, and movies. Mina was sleeping in the other room, so he had to lower the volume.

Indeed, he was entertained, and for a while, was distracted from the small pang in his chest from rejecting Devon. He actually blinked twice to make sure that he was not seeing the look of a rejected puppy in Devon.

He was right because when he looked at Devon again, the stoic man was back to his usual expression. He can't help but wonder what made Devon that way. He can't force people to smile, but there must be a reason why Devon's deep browns flashed pain and sadness when he voiced his rejection.

"Eli, what do you think about secrets?" Mina asked him out of the blue, her eyes fixed on the apple she was peeling while he paused his favorite animated show to glance at Mina.

He scrunched his nose and pouted his lips. "Hmm. I don't like it. Secrets are very dangerous, Mina. I prefer that people are honest with me because I would also do the same. Why do you ask?"

He looked at Mina with a soft smile and grabbed a slice of peeled apples, his eyes widening at the sweet taste and juicy texture. "Wow. This is so good! You should try one too, Mina," he offered and Mina shook her head.

He placed his fruit back on the plate and narrowed his eyes towards his friend. Mina gulped hard and her shoulders tightened. Is something wrong with her? She looks so... nervous.

"Mina? Are you alright? Are you mad that I ate the apple without your permission? I'm sorry if that's the case. I... I w-won't do it a-again..." he promised in a soft voice, slightly shaky. His eyes were now teared up and his fists clenched his hospital gown.