1: Italian Delights

You are my forever," Maya grinned as her ocean blue eyes met Carina's warm, chocolatey brown ones. "And always," Carina responded. Sarah hugged her moms, pulling them close. Lucia jumped up into Carina's awaiting arms, and the family held each other tightly, thankful that they had found their light at the end of the tunnel.

There was something about Italy that was so very peaceful.

Here, there was no pressure of work, no expectations, nothing pressing on Maya's mind other than what they would do the next day.

There was no itinerary, no impending doom... She was so relaxed.

Nights were spent cuddling, laying under a blanket and staring up at the sky. The moon was so bright and beautiful, and the night sky was usually cloudless, which meant that they could see the stars, which seemed to stretch on for miles and miles. It was so peaceful just to hear silence, apart from the sounds of crickets. No traffic, or city noise. Just them, cuddled in each other's embrace, the stars and the moon.

Mornings passed by in bed, then drinking espressos on the balcony, and eating a freshly cooked, delicious breakfast. Sometimes it was french toast with fresh bread, others it was pastries, eggs and fresh fruit. They listened to the waves hitting the shore, birds serenading one another high above them in the sky, and feeling the salty wind on their faces. They would go for walks along the water, or duck into town to get some fresh pastries and bread, or to enjoy the local traditions.

Once they arrived back home, it was usually around lunch time. Yet again, they enjoyed the spoils of their walk and the rich, delicious Italian food that they procured. After said tasty meal, they headed back on to the back deck facing the ocean, and settled on the hammock, where Carina would pull out a novel to read.

Maya had off-handedly mentioned how much she enjoyed it when the Italian read aloud to her, so Carina was now making a point of doing it frequently.

So, they two read on the hammock, yet again cuddled in each other's embrace. Usually, Maya drifted off to the sound of her wife's voice within minutes, and Carina would giggle as Maya's gentle snores tickled her ear. The Italian would massage her beautiful blonde's head while she held the book with the other hand, and it was incredibly peaceful.

They both felt so lucky.

———

Maya woke up early that morning. She could hardly believe the events of yesterday... the blonde had got married to the love of her life, in Italy.

As she laid in bed next to her wife, listening to Carina's soft snores, she ran her fingers through her wife's curls. Maya thought about how much life had changed this past couple years.

Within four years, the blonde had gone from single, to dating a beautiful and thoughtful woman, to a mom of two, to married. She couldn't believe that she was a mom now, she hadn't even wanted kids before she met Carina. Kids were scary, and overwhelming.

But now, they weren't. They were sweet, and angelic. Her two girls were her everything.

It was the family's last day in Italy before they were leaving. The girls would be going home, while Maya and Carina were going on their honeymoon in the Maldives. It was a bittersweet day, Catania had been such a breeze for the family.

A breather that they desperately needed.

Carina mumbled something in her sleep, and Maya pulled her closer to her chest and began gently kissing her wife's lips. "Mmm, bambina, it's too early to wake up," the Italian insisted groggily.

"Go back to sleep, Car," the blonde whispered, and the brunette sighed. "Spoon me," Carina murmured sleepily.

Maya smiled as she wrapped her arms around the Italian's slender body, pulling her close to her chest. Maya nuzzled her head on the back of Carina's neck, pressing soft kisses against her wife's warm skin, her heart singing as Carina fell back asleep, holding Maya's hands to her heart.