When you are busy planning and building settlements

Codsworth:

He will keep himself busy with either helping you with all these ideas and building or by keeping you fed and hydrated. If he sees someone slacking, he will scold them, telling them about how hard you are working and their slacking off is disrespectful to all the hard work you are putting into making them a settlement.

Preston:

He will be so happy you are working on the settlement, gladly helping you out if you need any help. He will try to encourage the other settlers to help you out as well, saying if everyone works together it will be more fun and everything will be done quicker.

Danse:

He will be checking the guns to see if they need cleaning and are still in good state, leaving you to work in peace. If you need help lifting something heavy, he's glad to help you out.

Piper:

She will take this moment of not traveling and fighting the whole time to sit down and start writing drafts of her newspaper articles. She will only distract you to ask you about the thing she's writing about so she can be sure she's writing it correctly and didn't forget anything.

Nick:

He will look at other detective files, deciding to work on another case while you are busy with building your settlement. So sometimes he will approach you while you are working to let you know he's gonna go out for a bit to go work on this case then leaves for a few hours before returning and telling you what happened.

Hancock:

If it will take days, he might go and stop by Good Neighbourhood to see how things are running there, talk with some of the locals, just catch up, before returning. Other times, he will just crash on a sofa you put somewhere and do some jet.

Cait:

She will complain at first but then just crash on a sofa and watch you sketching and working. If you ask her help to move stuff, she will sigh but hop off the sofa and help, muttering fighting would be more exciting than moving objects around.

Strong:

He will lift up stuff and put it down where you tell him to put it. It has to be simple instructions he can follow though, if you use too many difficult instructions he will just get confused and annoyed then throw the item away or slam it down and angrily complain Strong doesn't get it and you are just confusing Strong.

Maccready:

He will sigh as he flops down, finally able to take a break from all the adventuring. Usually when you walk past, you will notice he fell asleep; his hat sliding down a bit as his head was hung down and his arms wrapped around his rifle. Other times he will just be watching you working or he will be keeping an eye out for enemies.

Deacon:

He will groan and tell you there are more interesting things to do out there, telling you these people can build their own houses, then glancing to the people and mumbling probably. When you said no and you are gonna be working on this for a while, he sighed but said fine and flopped down on some sofa and waited, then got up and left to go search for someone interesting to talk to you.

Curie:

She will remind you with a worried tone not to overwork yourself and take breaks. While you are working, she will eventually come over with a plate with food and a glass of water, telling you to take a break to eat and drink. If you refuse, she will remind you in a serious tone that you can't do much work if you don't eat or drink properly. So you stopped working to eat and drink what she offered then continued while she took the empty plate and glass back and began looking for the next meal she can offer you in a few hours.

X6-88:

He will say he gets you wish to build the settlement and help these people out but surely there are more important things to do. So he will just sit somewhere, waiting for you to finish so you two can continue more important tasks.

Dogmeat:

He will just go do his thing until you are done; so sleep, eat, play, or just walk around.

King:

He will assure the Kings will happily help you out if you need help building anything. When you are seated at his table, sketching out ideas, he will take a seat aside you and keep you silent company, only speaking to suggest an idea, share his opinion, or to talk to Pacer.

Benny:

He will somehow get you the materials needed. While you are busy planning and building settlements, he will just keep himself busy with running his casino. Sometimes he will drop by to ask you how it's going, which he half listens to, more busy curiously exploring the stuff you are working on.

Butch:

He will be complaining, saying this is so boring and he wants to go do something fun like shooting some creatures or discovering new things. So he will be slouched somewhere, muttering complaints.