How To Save A Life

Start from the beginning

Virgil smiled and laughed, the first real one Patton had seen in months from him. "I'm okay," he said softly, too softly. Patton hated how quiet Virgil had become, his voice only barely ever above a whisper nowadays. "And no thanks to the cookies, Dad. I had some ramen earlier." He pulled the packaging from his pocket, finished with that day's date in Logan's handwriting.

In order to fight the depression, the darkness, Patton had made Virgil a deal. Anything that he ate had to be signed off on by another side. Upon seeing the package, Patton smiled. He and Virgil had a movie day, letting the other sides work on a video with Thomas for the day.

But even still...that day was a one in a million chance to happen. When he found out, he blamed himself. He thought Virgil had been getting better...had Patton not tried hard enough? Was he not enough?

Lay down a list of what is wrong

The things you've told him all along

And pray to God he hears you

Logan was never one much for prayer, but right then, he was praying to every god that had ever been believed in the world.His list in hand, he knocked on Virgil's door softly. "Hello," he said once he saw the other side, offering an awkward smile.

Virgil rubbed his eyes and yawned. "Logan?" he asked, hella confused now. "It's like- three in the morning-" he showed Logan the phone.

"Yes, I am quite aware," Logan hummed, lying easily. "However, I did not think that this could wait until morning." He pushed past Virgil and went in uninvited, looking around some. The room was a mess, but Logan paid no mind. He sat on Virgil's bed and motioned him over, which Virgil hesitantly did. "May we talk?"

Hesitantly, Virgil nodded some. Logan gave him the list and he looked it over, sighing softly, exhausted and tired of them all doing this. "Logan," he said sternly, a hint of annoyance in his voice now.

"I'm worried-"

"I know," Virgil grumbled, shoving the list back to Logan and standing up. "But it's three in the fucking morning and I need sleep." He went and opened his bedroom door. "Get out, please. I want to rest, I don't feel good."

Logan watched, but slowly, he stood up. He didn't wanna push his limits, especially not with how fragile Virgil was right now. He left, but not until he stole a hug, the only one he'd ever gotten from the other. Little did he know, Logan only had one more hug from Virgil after this, and it was not a happy one.

Was this his fault? Had Logan not seen the signs early enough, should he have fought back that night....? Logan wasn't sure, but one thing he did know was that he blamed himself for what had happened the night after.

Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend

Somewhere along in the bitterness

And I would have stayed up with you all night

Had I known how to save a life

As he begins to raise his voice

You lower yours and grant him one last choice

Drive until you lose the road

Or break with the ones you've followed

Remus watched Virgil. He hadn't intervened at all yet, hadn't tried to talk him out of what he was obviously planning to do. But as he watched him with the rope and chair, he spoke up now.

"Virgil," Remus called out gently, causing Virgil to jump. He turned around and went to talk, but Remus hummed. "Don't speak," he said, going to him. "Gimme this." He yanked the rope away from Virgil, eyes hard as he tried to hide how terrified he was.