Chapter 51

"HAS ANYHTING HAPPENED in the past week that makes you entirely happy?" Andrea asked

"HAS ANYHTING HAPPENED in the past week that makes you entirely happy?" Andrea asked. Turns out she was a certified therapist and had agreed to help me for now in person as she was in Archdale visiting family and then after tomorrow virtually.

Aaron rubbed his thumb on my knee waiting patiently. I bit my lip and nodded.

"Yeah. I got to go to two different houses for Christmas, I met my family, I got Aaron to meet them, I had a sleepover with Jordan which was fun." I realized this week was really a full on blast.

"And what was the part that made you utterly helpless?"

I did not have to think twice. "My grandma having breast cancer." I swallowed the lump on my throat as Andrea scribbled down some words.

"Is there a reason why you don't think her recovery is in the limelight?" She asked eyeing me.

"I do think that-"

"But that's not what you believe in. Speak your thoughts Bryce." She softly put out and nodded for me to speak.

I took a deep breath and fumbled with my hands. "Because- because everybody I know or knew left. They always leave. Sometimes it's not even death that takes them away. It's because I'm not good enough. Or when they do want to be with me they get taken away by death or other circumstances. It's like I'm cursed. Like every bad thing is bound to happen to me." I stress the last sentence to her. I feel Aaron squeeze my hand under the table. I give him a small smile and look back at Andrea.

"It's not your place to determine the fate of the universe Bryce. You can't predict it. If you say all bad things are taken from you then name me a few good things that have happened to you?" Andrea countered.

I blew out a breath trying to navigate down memory lane. "Well I left a pretty toxic and shitty family, I met up with a lot of incredible people, I found a real family, I met Aaron and all my friends."

"Those are because of the bad things. You see every consequence has a good and bad source. We just happen to outshine the negative against the positive. I agree that your past is hard and unexpected but only you can change the future. You have to learn to expect good things. Because if you focus too much on the bad and when they do occur you will forget all the happiness around you. So for today I want you to do a task." Andrea took out a piece of paper and handed it to me.

I looked at the long array of lines a little weirdly. "What's this?"

She pushed her glasses up her nose. "That is a sheet. I want you to write twenty positive lines that start with 'I am'. You have a week to do this so take your time and really think about yourself." I nodded an pocketed it in my bag pack. I was about to get up before she interrupted. "I also want to ask questions on your emotional standpoint of your relationship with Aaron."

Aaron glanced at me and I at her. What does that mean?

"Tell me. How long have you and Aaron been together?"