Chapter 8

TODAY WAS A brilliant day

TODAY WAS A brilliant day. Not only did I feel amazing but the whole day was so chill with minimum work that I felt like I was gliding on one of those doughnut tubes at a water park.

I stroll through the library picking out my next read. I was a very picky reader and I refuse to read a book without it having a good dose of romance. Without it, I don't fucking care. Romance needs to be there.

I pick out a book with a purple cover and read the synopsis and the title.

Throne of glass.

It sounded good to me so I quickly checked it out walking to Ms. Clarissa's classroom. Her room was petite like her with navy walls and instruments screwed onto them.

The main wall had different notes painted on it with black ink.

I sat on a cubed stool tapping my foot and waiting for her. I thought I'd give the piano a try. It was not risking me in any way other than my precious ego and self-confidence.

The door opened and she walked in her honey hair in a loose braid as she grinned at me. "Bryce. Sorry, I'm late I got caught up in the teacher's cafeteria."

I smiled and got up. "No problem Mrs. Clarissa."

Her smile instantly fell. "It's Ms. dear, not Mrs... yet, that is." She muttered frowning.

I nodded embarrassed. She told me to sit by the piano and I did so the sleek black pianoforte was huge and not what I was accustomed to. I mingled with the keys a bit getting it rendered to my memory and awakening my lost ones. It had been forever since I played.

Ms. Clarissa was patient while I tested it out and then flowed into playing Clair de Lune for her. Melting in with the music as it went up a beat and into a beautiful melody soft yet complex. It made me feel alive.

I played and played to the song until the very last note and when I stopped I felt so... peaceful. Like a light had bounced into me.

I sound like fucking tinker bell.

I was only startled when Ms. Clarissa started clapping. "That was marvelous Bryce! Wasn't that great Aaron?" I screwed my neck to the right and flushed when I saw Aaron leaning against the doorway. He ran a hand through his hair and nodded at me.

"That was really good Bryce. Surprisingly." He added to amend his niceness. I rolled my eyes and hid behind my fringes.

"I loved it, Bryce. With a little more practice you can do wonders. And you know what I was just discussing with Principal Simone about a concert we would hold at a party that was coming up here in school. What do you think?" She gushed through her words so fast I barely comprehended them.

I cleared my throat inching away from the piano. "Oh, I don't really play the piano. This was just for you know fun. I'm not like a professional." I laughed out trying to hum the mood to a soft dismissal but Ms. Clarissa clearly thought the wrong signs.