Chapter 47

"MOM!" I SHOUT racing down the stairs

"MOM!" I SHOUT racing down the stairs. "You need to calm down."

My mother was practically hyperventilating the hell out of life. She rung her hands in front of her and looked at me. "Shit. I feel nauseous."

I held her shoulders. "It's okay mom. Relax. The wedding isn't until four hours. You have time to relax and get your makeup and spa done. Just deep breaths." She nodded and closed her eyes anxiously.

"Yeah. Yeah. You're right." I guided her to the couch where we both collapsed. "I was meaning to talk to you about something. About your mother."

My stomach sank as I glanced at her. "Yeah?"

"She visited you. But not for the reason you think. A couple of weeks back she came here Bryce. She came for money." I swallowed as my mother looked at me with pity. "She begged for money. Apparently they lost most of it in a gamble. You're father is in rehab now. He got an addiction to drugs. But your mother keeps gambling it away over and over. So I refused to give her any until she was better." I gritted my teeth, my jaw clenching.

Why was not I fucking surprised? Honestly my mother never changed. Fuck mother. She was just a woman who gave birth to me. Nothing more.

And the audacity to manipulate me. What the hell? Was I now a money source? Something to save her petty ass from? Was Chiara not good enough now?

Things would never change. My birth parents were always toxic for each other. They were and they will be. And now I do not have to bare them. I did not have to hear them or have to deal with them.

I did not hate them. I get them really. It's a world we are fighting. But I will always be disappointed in them. Hurt and disappointed. Loathe maybe. But nothing was permanent.

Everybody was manipulative. You just had to figure out the difference between those who would stop for you and those who would do it on you.

It's just an emotion now. And I know this will not be my last hardship either. People lie and deceive and get hurt.

And sometimes you can do nothing to help them. Love does not work all the time. Sometimes it fails. And that is okay.

We had to cut off the toxic parts in order to stay pure.

Its in the package of life itself. We just never got the warning.

"I'm so sorry, honey." My mom rubbed my arm. I only nodded. "In the bright side Grandma's coming after the wedding."

"After?" I ask. "She's not coming to the wedding?"

"No baby. Too many memories." I understood that by a long shot. I wished she had come though. Grandma always made everything more fun. Her chaps with mine just equalled hell for everyone. It was amazing. "Where are the boys? Jake had been searching for them."