thirty-eight

1 Week Later

Everyone was excited to welcome Aizawa after his one-week absence. Even Ryouta prepared a special gift (even though they met a few times this week). The other students didn't know why he was absent. But they were eternally grateful. Who can blame them for preferring Aizawa over their substitute teacher Present Mic.

Aizawa-like no other didn't expect anything when he entered his class. The class rep, Iida started the greeting, followed by everyone else in unison. Even Bakugo joined-although with his typical grumpy face.

"Thanks... " the erasure hero uttered, awkwardly walking it. It was never his thing being the center of attention.  But then his eyes went through the present boxes on each of their tables and started wondering what that was. 

"Where have you been all this time, sensei?" a student asked.

"I was assigned a mission by the board," he said to let it pass.

And to skip class, class-1A students forced Aizawa to open it at the moment, which he didn't have the heart to refuse.

So he sighed tiredly as his students started walking forward, placing piles of boxes on his table.

"Let's see..."

The raven-haired hero unwrapped each one. Revealing some fancy-looking jackets and scarves for winter from Momo, a book from Iida, a flare-gun from Bakugo, a pictured mug with 'best teacher' written in it from Mina and many others. But what really caught his eyes was the blue envelope from Ryouta. 

Aizawa turned him a glance. And shook his head in awe. He smirked a bit and his students notice.

They started whispering to each other before Bakugo yelled, "Just freaking show what's inside it!"

But the bell rang and immediately it's as if they'd forgotten whatever happened a while ago.

"I'm pretty sure this isn't the kind of thing you give your teacher, young kid," Aizawa uttered as he and Ryouta walked in the corridor.

It was pretty empty, the other students were so excited about going home. And that pretty much left the two of them there.

"But it won't be too wrong to give it to my dad, right?" the boy chuckled. 

Aizawa chuckled but he didn't reply. It was heartwarming being able to talk to Ryouta like this, but he still got a lot of work trying to get used to it. This whole thing isn't much like him. 

They were in Aizawa's car, and the raven-haired hero was driving the boy home. 

"I just want to let you know that I don't want you inviting me cause you feel indebted or anything like that, 'cause you're not. There's a lot of things I didn't tell you about me and Shigaraki, so when I told you I'm responsible-"

"I know," Ryouta chuckled, "jeez, you're such a downer. I need to be mentally prepared before going through all that again, don't you think?" he teased. "Besides, I think you've forgotten the date you asked mom about, I think she's waiting!" 

Aizawa blushed. The fact is that he hadn't forgotten one bit. They've all been through a lot and he knew Emi's been pretty busy with missions herself. He couldn't think of a perfect time to just talk and relax. "But if you'd rather have a private dinner just the two of you I wouldn't mind, I've been considering visiting a friend's house myself." 

"Your girlfriend?" Aizawa teased.

"Ew, no!" Ryouta yelled, but Aizawa saw his cheeks reddening, "you're like mom now!" 

Aizawa chuckled. "And actually no, I'd rather have you too. I missed a lot of things, don't you think? You should start listing things like your favorite color, food, holiday destinations, etc. I'll have to get it memorized before then." 

"So you can brag about it to mom?" 

Aizawa rubbed the boy's hair and chuckled, "So I can get you something you'd actually like rather than some sentimental old-fashioned goggles."