twenty-three

Ryouta stood near the exit gate, waiting for his mother to come pick him up-since she insisted to.  He rested his back against the wall, turning on some random playlist he found. Soon Emi's car stopped before him, honking once as Ryouta didn't realize her coming-him turning all his focus to a mobile game. Ryouta look up to her, quickly made his way to the car.

"I could've gone home myself," Ryouta uttered as he tossed his bag to the backseat. "And what?" Emi uttered, "fly around in your capture weapon with all those remaining injuries?" 

Well, I can picture someone else doing the same, Emi thought.

"Aizawa-sensei!" Ryouta yelled, waving his hand excitedly at the worn-out mummy. Both Emi and Ryouta couldn't really see his expression due tot he bandages covering his facial features, but knew he heard Ryouta calling. The raven-haired hero turned his head towards the car, slowly walking towards it. 

"Where are you going?" Ryouta asked as the underground hero reach close enough. Aizawa hummed, "Oh right I haven't told you," he said, "we're planning on moving the students to dorms after the USJ attack." He turned his eyes to Emi's surprised look, "It's not mandatory though, it's for the student's safety, I'm just moving some of my things." 

"Umm...I think I left something in class," Ryouta uttered, grinning, "be right back!" 

And with that Aizawa and Emi are left alone, starting off with an awkward silent. 

"Ryouta told me about what happened that night," Emi uttered, "thank you for helping him, the doctor said it could've got much worst if we got there any later." Aizawa hummed, "I didn't really do anything, you and Hawks got there earlier." 

Emi rubbed the back of her neck awkwardly, grinning, "So you were there," she said. Aizawa hummed, grinning, "A bit late." 

"So, you're going home?" Emi asked, hesitantly. Aizawa slightly nodded. "Should I drive you?" the seafoam-haired women asked again, responded by an unreadable silence from the raven-haired hero. When he did reply, he said, "That won't be necessary."

"Oh," Emi muttered rather sadly, not willing to push him the way she used to. Aizawa noticed the look on her face and slightly sighed. "But I would love to," he continued with a closed-eyes smile. Emi's eyes widen, looking up to him in surprise. 

"Right...okay," The seafoam-haired hero uttered. 

Ryouta returned from his fake scenario to see his mom's car in the same spot. The only different thing is that now Aizawa's sitting beside the driver's seat. It seems like they're having a conversation, but he couldn't tell what they're talking about. Knowing his mother, it's a big chance that she's talking about his embarrassing moments running away from a duck at the park the other day. So, in order to stop her, he speed up his way. 

"Good day, parents," he uttered teasingly, tossing his bag beside him. To Aizawa's surprise, other than feeling a sense of petty betrayal, Emi was chuckling, laughing even. "Don't say it like that," she said, still laughing. 

Ryouta pushed his head closer, resting both his arms on the sides of the two-front seat, his head facing Aizawa, "I'm just saying it, Aizawa-sensei is a very rational man." 

Shota Aizawa knew that like Emi's old dating 'joke', Ryouta saying that might just be done for teasing purposed. But he couldn't help his mind from thinking that perhaps it was an act of sarcastic explaining method. It's probably just his grown-up mind, but he can imagine a kid holding grudge to an irresponsible father like he is. So for that reason, throughout the way, he remain silent. 

...

It was after a long journey of complete silence, only when they arrived in front of a familiar apartment building, Emi started talking, "So...you live here now?" 

What surprises her so much isn't the fact that the worn-out hero moved out of his old apartment, it was that this building in particular, was where she used to live. That was also the moment when Aizawa remember that he did bought her apartment, after it almost falls to another hand from her long disappearance. Which was embarrassing to admit at the moment. 

"Yes," is all he end up saying as he pulled the door open. With one of his leg landing on the concrete, Emi started saying, "We can help you carry all that stuffs," Emi uttered, pushing her door open as well, "I'm feeling all nostalgic about this building." 

Ryouta squinted his eyes, faking a disgusted gag, "Ew, mom," he uttered, "that's disgusting!" 

Emi's eyes widen, "That's not what I mean! I used to live here!" Ryouta reacted even more, "That is some unnecessary detail!" 

"No! I actually lived here like alone! Not with him!" 

At this point, Aizawa rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, slightly grinning. "Yeah," he uttered, "I actually moved in a few months after she left Tokyo." Ryouta raised his eyebrows, humming, "I didn't know you moved out of Tokyo." 

"It's a long story, maybe some other time."

...

They got to Emi's (now Aizawa's) 2nd story apartment by the elevator. Each of them carrying one of Aizawa's boxes as they made their way through the hallway. Somewhere among the many door's, Aizawa stopped. Grabbing a key which was earlier tucked to his pocket. 

To her surprise, Emi stalled by the door. Remembering that this in particular is her apartment. Or was.  

The raven-haired boy opened his shoes with his eyes wandering around the living room excitedly. "This place is amazing!" Ryouta uttered as he walked in. Emi followed behind him with Aizawa leading the way. "Just place it anywhere you want," the raven-haired man uttered, making his way to the kitchen. "Would the both of you like any tea?" Aizawa turned his eyes to Ryouta, hesitatly saying, "or...milk?" 

Emi laughed as she saw Ryouta rolled his eyes, being treated like a child. Aizawa didn't know if he was wrong, so he said, "Fruit pouch?" He didn't expect it to be any better, but the boy excitedly run towards him, standing near the fridge, trying to decide which particular fruit pouch he'd like to pick. "That will do," Ryouta uttered. 

On the other hand, Emi casually dumped herself on the couch, watching the two boys choosing fruit pouch. Aizawa at some point turned his eyes at the women, "tea?" 

"Don't kick me out of your fruit pouch affair!" she uttered. Aizawa didn't know why, but he was smiling, although he's pretty sure that it isn't quite visible to Emi. If he was given a choice, unlike any other time, he wished she can see it, just for her to know how grateful he is for her to be there. 

...

The two adults was sitting on the couch while Ryouta wander around the house. "Is this you mom?" the boy uttered, holding a picture frame of Aizawa and Emi in their hero costume after a mission. Emi squinted her eyes as she tried to see the picture from such distance. As she realize it, the seafoam-haired pointed excessively with her eyes at Aizawa, "That's me! You still keep that?!" 

Aizawa shrugged, "What do you expect me to do? Throw it away?" Emi chuckled, "That's exactly what I thought you'd do." 

"The both of you look so much younger here!" Ryouta uttered, examining the picture, "Look at you now, both old with backpain." Ryouta faked a cry. 

"I don't look so much different!" Emi protested. 

"Old, old, old," Ryouta continued teasing.

Aizawa watched as Emi ran after Ryouta, and the boy teasing her all over again. It was hard to admit. But the way he sees it, it seems...fun. And he...