eight

After a few months of settling down in her new apartment, Emi was ready to live her life again. It was unbelievale raising a child. All the sleepless nights and child needs, she'd be dead by now if Aika wasn't there around. As a fellow single-parent, she can relate, which is nice.

Hiko spent lots of his free time from primary school in their apartment too, to play with Ryouta although he's still too young to reply to his sayings. He can hardly crawl or stay few hours without crying. Well, at least she got a babysitter looking after them 9 to 5. She'll only be home by 8 or 9 at night, but at least Aika is home by then. Even without her, Emi knew she can trust Hiko enough. It was the right decision to get an apartment just beside them.

...

"Great job on the mission, some time-off doesn't take your skills away after all," Hawks said, "but you're unusually early to set back? I never thought there'd be a time for me to say that a mother duty suits you just as much as being a hero. Well, parents are basically heroes after all." Emi chuckled.

"Oh, right," Hawks took a clear box from his drawer, handing it to Emi, "here's for your son, Ryouta isn't it?" Emi hummed, giving it a closer look. It was Hawks' red feather made to a bracelet, "Not the best fashion-wise but it'll keep him safe." "Thankyou," she said. "I'll visit to see him in person sometime when this schedule clears up," he chuckled embarrased, "make sure to refer me as the number 1 uncle."

"Ayay bossman," Emi uttered, waving him goodbye, "I'm out."

...

"Auntie Emi, auntie Emi!" Hiko called excitedly, running towards Emi who only entered. Emi wiped the sweat from her forehead, tossed her hero gloves on a nearby couch then kneeled before the boy. "Ryouta said his first word!"

"Really?" The both of them then walk towards Ryouta's room with Emi holding Hiko's hand who's leading the way. As they arrived, Emi blushed to the view of Ryouta sleeping soundly with the action figures of Ms. Joke and Eraserhead, she couldn't help but smile. It's probably Hiko's, he's so much into heroes. Although she didn't expect him to have action figures of underground heroes like Aizawa and herself.

Emi noticed the other boy pouting, dissapointed that Ryouta is asleep. "He's always sleeping, is he sick?" he asked. "That's just how babies are," Emi chuckled, "No need to worry, in a few years you'll be able to play with him much longer."

...

5 YEARS LATER

Ryouta was silently following Hiko, trying his best to not make any sound.  What on earth is he doing? He thought. Hiko was throwing all the Eraserhead action figure he have to a box, and now he's walking out with it. He wanted to watch from afar but his curiosity forced him to ask instead. "Nii-san," Ryouta called, tottering towards the older boy who immediately turn his eyes to him, "What are you doing?"

"Eraserhead is not cool anymore," he replied casually. "We should start collecting Allmight figures, everyone in my class love him." Ryouta hummed confused, glaring at the box full of Eraserhead-related things. Hiko had just started middle-school and even a five year old like himself can tell that Allmight's gaining all the public attention lately. Besides, there's not much news nor merch of Eraserhead around. He's an underground hero after all. But for some reason, Ryouta thought that's what makes him so cool.

In the middle of their conversation on the way back to the apartment, Ryouta fell to his knees. He started wheezing as the sharp pain crossed his eyes. He tried rubbing it forcefully with his arm, trying to take away whatever it is causing the pain in his eyes. Hiko crouched before him concerned. He noticed the tip of Ryouta's hair floating, but he couldn't care less, it's probably the wind or he's just imagining things. "Hey, are you okay?" asked Hiko, not quite knowing what to do. Ryouta look up at Hiko as he continuously rubbed his teary eyes. That's when the older boy notice his eyecolor being glowing red other than his natural black. "My eyes," Ryouta uttered shakily.

...

At the hospital.

Emi pushed the patient door excessively. By her breathing pace, it's clear to tell that she's been running. She rushed to Ryouta who's casually sitting on the patient bed watching some random cartoon on the television. Emi hugged her son, grateful that he's alright. "Ryouta I'm so sorry, I should've come sooner," she said.

"I'm okay, mom," Ryouta muttered as he tried to pull himself from the hug, "The nurses are watching," he muttered embarrased. Emi chuckled, "And what so? You're my son after all I can hug or kiss you anytime I want, that's what sons are for!" Emi said teasingly."

"You didn't have to skip job, or are you just using me as an excuse for you to get additional break-time?" he teased. Emi softly flicked her index finger on his cheek. Ryouta voiced a soft 'ouch'. "Don't worry me like that again or I will throw all your toys," she replied teasingly. Ryouta rolled her eyes, which Emi caught as it reminds her a lot of Aizawa, she smiled a bit.

"Speaking of toys, is it okay to throw away the things you once like just because there is something you like more now?" Ryouta asked with his hands folded. Emi hummed as she performed a thinking pose, "Why did you ask?"

"Hiko nii-san was throwing all his Eraserhead action figures because everyone in his class are into Allmight," he replied. Emi hummed and turned a soft smile, patting the boy's shoulder, "I guess I wouldn't know if it's okay or not either," she said, "what about you? Are you into Allmight? I can get you some Allmight toys if you want to."

Ryouta squinted his eyes as he tried to picture Allmight in his head. "Nevermind," he said, "He's too energetic, Eraserhead is cooler."

Genes, Emi thought to herself.

"But I'm energetic!" Emi uttered, faking a heartbreak, "eraserhead over me?" Ryouta hummed, "but you're my mother, it's not like I got a choice," he uttered teasingly.

Emi pinched his cheek, "How dare you." They both laughed.