Memories pt. 4

I was sitting at the table, right beside Ken. Ken was reading over his book with his notes. Honestly, I love how so into his reading he gets. On the other hand though, I wish he wasn't so completely and utterly invested into his reading.

In the meanwhile, I just finds myself being busy with some sketches, looking at how the characters vary from one person to another. Ken's probably about five or six. Therefore, leading me to be about seven or eight.

I look down at my little characters smiling before getting up and going over towards Ken. "Need some help Ototo-san?" I ask him. He nods his head slightly at that.

I move to sit beside him, looking at how the kanji is written. Then I explain the differences and what it is vs. how he was getting it wrong. He smiles widely looking up at me. "Thanks Kiyoshi!" My brother exclaims, the happiness evident in his voice. I nod my head smiling.

A clicking at the door sounds, causing me to be on high alert. I manage to catch the dark hair and grey eyes, the ones just like my brother's. "Mom!" Ken exclaims, overjoyed to see Mom. I on the other hand, kept more to myself.

I watch Ken talking happily with Mom. A bad feeling erupts in my chest. I slowly leave them alone in the kitchen before heading to my own room. Something doesn't feel right, and I can't quite place it.

Ken really does love Mom, and I respect that, but I can't always make my opinions his. I stay in my room for a little bit until there's a loud clashing from the kitchen. Immediately, I race towards the kitchen, seeing Ken on the ground, shaking and crying. My eyes glance over at Mom.

I watch her glare heavily towards me. A rather deep growl erupts from my throat. I move closely towards my brother, seeing a few bruises on him. My eyes glance over at my mother. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the gold eye reflecting back towards me.

 Out of the corner of my eye, I see the gold eye reflecting back towards me

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" My brother's words finally reaching my ears. This causes the reaction of eliciting heavy snarls. I seen Mom's hand draw back. Without much thought, I jump to action.

Quickly, I push Ken against the cabinets before moving to block him from the blows getting thrown. My back against his chest, this way I know there wouldn't be as severe implications.

Though, I feel blow after blow. "Onii-chan," Ken voice wavers. I block that out for a moment. When I see that Mom has a moment of rest, I push her away, causing her to stumble back and fall.

Without hesitation, I grab Ken and push him up and forward. "Go!" I yell at him. He goes to say something but I snap. "Just go Ken!" I yell. And with that, he takes off out of the door.

Then my senses start to pick something up. A vehicle fast approaching. I look out the door and see Ken running. No! My feet push up from the ground, taking off.

As soon as my hands are able to touch my brother. I grab him before throwing him back to the side walk. My breathing heavy. I turn my head for a moment, catching something bright before everything turns dark.