41. Only the beginning

What other way to start off than a celebration for this new beginning. Though the prom was technically for the juniors, we got invited to it by Dorian. Amelia insisted we should come. It was a new chapter after all, so why not start off with a dance?

   I clutched my dress to my chest, which I stitched using Rosie's help. "I'll go change in the other room," I told her. She looked at me and shyly smiled. I don't know why, but ever since she helped me make my dress, she has been all blushy around me. Well, at least it isn't awkward. I grabbed my little pink bag and walked away to Isolda's room. I felt an icy breeze brush past my neck, causing me goosebumps. Mr. Davis' clothes and shoes were thrown everywhere. The only sign of Isolda was the dressing table that stood lifeless in the corner.

   I removed my robe and pulled the dress over my head. Now I didn't want to adhere to the conventional feminine style of dressing or wear something masculine either. So I took a silk red shirt of mine, cut it and attached it to the skirt of the dress I wore for the Christmas dance. I added cufflinks to the sleeves. Over my dress, I wore a black waistcoat and a blazer. I wore a pair of black combat boots to go along with my costume. For a final touch, I put a belt around my waist and let the tongue hang.

 For a final touch, I put a belt around my waist and let the tongue hang

   I looked at myself in the mirror. My black short hair was now a copper colored pixie. The costume made me look less skinny, which made me happy. There were dark circles under my eyes, signs of lack of sleep. So I grabbed a concealer to cover it. I used nude make-up for a natural look and tied my hair into a ponytail.

   I walked out of the room and saw Rosie exiting her room, too. We both stopped in the hallway, staring at each other. She had on a long body fit cream satin dress that had a big slit on the right. My eyes traveled from her bare chest that held her golden locks to her lips that I so badly wanted to kiss. Then my eyes locked with her blue orbs. "You look breathtaking," the words left my mouth before I could process it. "I mean uhm I mean beautiful," I quickly corrected. She giggled again shyly and replied, "Thanks and you look charming."

   We walked downstairs, and I saw my dad watching me. I saw tears in his eyes. This was the first time he has ever seen me all dressed up since he was never there for any big events for the past five years. He held out his hand, and I took it. He kissed my head, making me smile. "You look beautiful, honey," he whispered. "Gosh, look at you. All grown up. I'm so proud of you." I hugged him for as long as I could.

   We took some pictures and then walked outside where something was waiting for me. I was shocked to see a red Audi standing on the road. I looked at my dad and he held out a key. "You've always spent our money helping others. I think you deserve something for yourself." Those words made my heart warm, and I hugged him again.

   "Pretty ladies," a voice squeaked. I turned around and saw a boy wearing a light blue suit and make-up. "Marcel!" I jumped into his arms and hugged him. "You look stunning, gurlll," he complimented me and hugged Rosie. "And you-" he just stared at her and she blushed. Wow, she got him speechless again. I nudged him and he bobbed his head. "Ah angelic!"

   "Thanks," Rosie blushed.

   We got into my car, and I drove to Allison's house. Allison was my plus one to the party. I peeped out of the car and saw a tall figure standing on the front porch and talking to her mum. Then I noticed the stilettos and giggled. She was wearing a pink dress. "Yo Aurora, c'mon quick!" She smiled and ran to us. "Damn new car?" she asked and got in the front. Next, we picked up Ila, who was also looking stunning in a golden dress that complimented her dark skin. She joined Marcel and Rosie at the back and we drove to school.

   Dorian flashed a smile at us and shook Rosie's hand. I just faked a smile since I still haven't grown fond of him. Rosie, however, smiled and spoke to him as he led us to the gym.

   "You're here!" Amelia exclaimed, and I got pulled into a big group hug. It felt nice to do this after so long. The rage I once felt in my heart was now conquered with affection and love. I would be lying if I said I hadn't missed this.

   Amelia pulled us to the middle, and we started dancing. I stood between Marcel and Allison and Rosie was in front of me. I looked at her and smiled as I wiggled my shoulders. She chuckled and mirrored my actions, making me smile. Marcel did some kind of duck movement and we all laughed. I mirrored his action, and he looked at me. I moved closer to him and the song party rock anthem started playing. "Oh my gosh, I loved this song!" We exclaimed in unition. I smiled and looked at him. "Bet you can't shuffle like me," he said.

   "I bet I can," I challenged. We both nodded and started moving to the beat. In sync, both our feet moved and our hands co-ordinated. "I'm glad you stayed back," I told him as we both shuffled.

   "I'm glad I did too," he said.

   After a couple of songs, the music stopped. Mrs. Kent came on stage to make an announcement. "I hope you are all having fun. I won't take too much of your time. As you all know, a month ago a petition was raised to legalize gay rights and to allow students from the other side to come to our school. Thanks to all your support and your families, the bill has been sanctioned."

   The crowd cheered, and my hands flew to my mouth as I screamed in joy. Allison clung onto me and I spun her around. "We did it, Ruth!" she exclaimed and Marcel joined in on the hug. "You guys are heroes," he said, and we both hugged him.

   "Gay and Trans rights will be legalized soon and from the new academic year we will have students from the other side coming to school." While Mrs. Kent spoke, a few of my friends congratulated me. Rosie hugged me and wished me too, though she wasn't fully aware of the story behind it. If it wasn't for her, none of this would have happened.

   In the corner of my eyes, I noticed someone with a black uniform and long black hair. He smiled at me and I smiled back. I just stood there watching him and he watched me. I knew he was proud of me. I was about to run up to him when someone grabbed my hand. I looked at Allison and she said, "Mrs. Kent wants to see you." I nodded and looked back at the crowd. Dylan was gone.

   I walked up to Mrs. Kent, who was standing by the door. "Good Evening Mrs. Kent," I wished her.

   "There you are! Congratulations on winning this, honey," she said with a soft smile. "That was really courageous of you to do. I'm so happy that kids like Jerry no longer have to live in hiding."

   "Thank you, Mrs. Kent. Are they also going to take out the division between the East and the West? Are we going to live amicably?" I asked.

   "Sorry honey. But there is no news about that."

   I kinda did expected the unity of both parts to be dismissed, for Rome wasn't built in a day. Getting the gay rights legalized by itself was a big step. This was a start for the better future of Bridgewoods. I just knew it. Maybe in the future, both these lands that were once a complete entity, will unite again and people will celebrate with fireworks. But for now we would have to just wait, for this was only the beginning.