Before

02/01/2013

   "Darling, I need to tell you something," Mr. Davis said and put his arm around 11-year-old. He kneeled down in front of her.

   "What is it, dada?" she chirped.

   "Please don't get mad, okay?"

   "Are going away to Sweden again?" She pouted.

   "No. No. I met someone, okay?"

   "Okay?"

   "She works with me. I think you will like her," he said.

   "Are you going to give her a promotion?" Poor thing was clueless.

   "S-she's gonna live with us," replied.

   "But why?"

   "I'm gonna get married Rosabella."

   She gasped and took a step back. "You mean you are replacing mum?"

   "Honey, no one can-"

   "You said you are marrying her. How could you! It has only been a year. You are going to leave me again!" she cried.

   "No baby, I won't. We just need more company," he replied and moved close to touch his daughter, but she flinched.

   "No! I know you love her. I see you always texting. How could you? I hate you, daddy. I hate you," she yelled and ran into her room.

   "Rosabella." Her dad ran after her, but she was quick to go in and close the door. "Go away!" she yelled. She climbed onto her bed and took her mother's picture. She looked at it as she cried, "Why do everyone I love leave me, ma?" She sniffed. "First you left me. Then Nemo left. Now dad is going after some Sweden woman."

   She laid down and hugged the photo. "I miss you, mama. I miss you so much," she cried. "I don't know why Nemo won't talk to me, mama. I miss him too." She lifted the photo and looked at it. "Do you think he got a new friend, mum?" she sniffed and turned to her side. She grabbed her barney toy and looked at it. "Barney, you won't leave me right?" she wiped her cheeks and hugged it with one arm while she held the photo in the other.

   Softly she sang to herself the song her mum always sang to her, "I see trees of green. Red roses too. I see them bloom for me and you. And I think to myself w-what a w-wonderful w-world." Her voice cracked as she cried.

   "I see skies of blue and clouds of white," someone continued as they walked inside. She lifted her head to see who it was. A big smile spread across her face. "Dylan!!!" she exclaimed and got up. She clung onto him and he carried her bridal style and spun her around.

   "Where is my princess?" he asked.

   "Here I am!"

   Marcel might have stopped talking to Rosie, but Dylan never did. He continued to live in Bridgewoods even after his cousin left. Dylan graduated after Marcel left, so it was convenient for him to stay and didn't need to leave. Dylan frequently visited the Davis' to see his sister.

   "Are you okay?" he asked as he put her down. She sat down and shook her head. Dylan sat beside her and held Barney.

   "Dada is gonna leave me," she whispered as she looked at her hand. Tears rolled down her cheeks and fell on her hand.

   "Really?"

   "Yes. He is getting married," she whispered.

   "Oh, honey." He held her chin and made her look at him. "Your daddy isn't leaving. He is just bringing some company. So you will have more friends."

   "But she is big like mummy. He married mummy. Now she will take mama's place. I don't want another mother," she whined.

   "Baby, just because you don't want to, doesn't mean your dad shouldn't marry. You dad gets lonely. He needs someone to keep him company," Dylan explained.

   "But he has me!"

   "Do you enjoy when you talk to your friends at school?"

   "Yes!

   "Like wise your dad needs someone in his age to talk to. Someone to love him."

   "But he shouldn't replace mama," she argued.

   "Your mother can never be replaced, Rosabella. She is one of a kind. This lady will be another person. Another friend. No one can ever take the place you have in your heart." Dylan points at her chest. "For your mother. Neither the place in your father's heart."

   "What if she is not nice?" she asked.

   "I'm sure your dad picks what is best for you. Do you trust him?" she nodded. "You can meet her and if you don't like her, then your dad won't marry her."

   "Really?"

   "I promise," he said and held her hand. She rested her head on his arm. "Did Nemo text you?" Rosie asked.

   "No hun." It wasn't just Rosie that he avoided. His cousin and grandfather got ignored, too.

   There was silence again.

   "Dylu?"

   "Yes, princess?" 

   "You'll never leave me, right?"

   "Never ever."

02/02/2013

Rosie walked around nervously. Her dad's friend was coming home, and she was very anxious. There was a knock on the door and then her dad called out to her. She walked outside and saw a lady with long brown hair and a big lipstick smile. Behind her stood a little girl just like Rosie. She held her mother's dress and looked at Rosie. She had long brown hair just like her mother and freckled cheeks. The lady walked up to Rosie and said, "Hello darling, you must be Rosabella." Rosie smiled. "Your dad has spoken a lot about you. I'm glad I can finally meet you."

   "Me too," Rosie replied with a pleasant smile.

   "I'm Bella and this is." She pushed her daughter forward. "My daughter Isolda."

   Rosie's eyes lit up. "My name is Bella too!" she chirped.

   "Yes! So cute," Bella said and caressed Rosie's cheeks. "Do you like chocolates, Rosabella?" Rosie bobbed her head. Bella took out a bar of chocolate and gave it to the little girl.

   "Eep thank you so much Ms-"

   "You can call me Bella." Rosie nodded and smiled. Then they all sat down for brunch. Bella started making conversations with Rosie, finding out about her day, her school, and everything. Isolda just sat and watched while they spoke. Bella would often include stuff about her daughter's life in the conversation, too. They spent the entire day at Rosabella's house and when it was time to leave, Bella gave Rosie a big hug. She kissed her cheeks and then they left.

   Rosie went to her room with a big smile on her face. But then she saw her mum's picture and her smile dropped. She sat down and took it in her hand. "I promise mama I will never love anyone as much as I love you."

   There was a knock on the door. She lifted her head up and saw her dad. He walked in and sat beside her. "Soooooo you had fun?" he asked. She nodded while she still looked at her mum's picture. Mr. Davis placed his hand on her shoulder. "Rosabella..." She looked at him. "Do you really like her? If you don't-"

   "Yes, dad she is nice. Really nice."

   "Does that mean I can marry her?" Rosie nodded.

   "Just don't leave me alone and go away," she whispered.

   "I will never." She nodded and rested her head on him as he wrapped his arm around her. "It will always be you and me bud. No one can change that. You know that right?"

   "Yes," Rosie whispered.

   He looked at the photo in Rosie's hand and asked, "You think your mum will like them?"

   She looked at him and smiled, "Yeah."