38. The Second Murder

I looked around to check if no one was watching me and adjusted my beanie and pulled the hood of my hoodie futher down. as I walked to the building. As I got closer, I heard whispering. There were ruffling sounds and I stood alerted. I peeped through the window and saw a man untying the ropes. "Shit. Shit. Shit." I looked around for something to stop him. I noticed a wooden log thrown among the gravels. I took it and slowly tiptoed in. He was busy untying Amelia along with Isolda's help. I took the moment of distraction and hit him on the head. He turned around as he held his head in shock. I hit him once again and he fell.

   Isolda tried sprinting out of the room, but my hands were faster than her legs. In one swift moment, the gun from my pocket was in my hands. "I wouldn't run if I were you," I warned. She stopped and looked at me. "Both of your arms in the air. Now!"I commanded, and they obeyed. I pointed at Amelia, "You. Kneel down." Then at Isolda. "Come and kneel beside her. Don't dare to move because I will shoot you." Isolda, being the brat she is tried to run for the door again so I pulled the trigger. The bullet hit the wood just by her leg, making her jump. She froze. I walked up to her and grabbed her hair. "You think you are smart, uh?" I growled as I dragged her and pushed her to the floor.

   "Please, just kill me. I don't want to live. So can you kill me first, Please?" Amelia cried.

   "Oh quit acting. I'm not buying any of that," I said, agitated. I was so done with all her tears and the pity-party that happened the previous day. I pulled a chair as I kept my eyes on them and sat down. I placed one leg over the other as I watched them both cry.

   "What are you going to do to us?" Isolda croaked.

   "Well, ya'll are no fun, so I might as well kill you both," I giggled. "Send you to where you belong."

   "No, please, I beg you. I'll be good, I promise," Isolda begged.

   I stood up and walked to her. I placed the gun on her head and nudged her as I cooed, "Awe, but I would surely like to see a bullet in your head." Her eyes widened, and she looked like she might pass out any minute. I backed off and asked, "Any last words? Any last wishes?"

   "Who are you?" Isolda asked.

   "Can you write Ruth and Ila a letter saying I'm sorry? Maybe if they forgive me, I can go to heaven and apologize to Rosie," Amelia said. I didn't know if she was messing with my head or genuinely meant it. I stared at her closely and nothing seemed fake about the guilt on her face. But I wasn't going to let that puppy face distract me. I stood few inches away from them and I pointed the gun at her while I spoke, "Good choice. So you go first." I did a quick side eye roll to check on Isolda.

   "Let's count to 3, shall we?" I asked.

   "Kill me already," Amelia huffed.

   "1."

   "2."

   "3."

   My fingers laced around the trigger, and as I pulled it, someone called my name. "Kalma wait! Stop!" It had been ages since anyone called me by my first name. The name that was given by my maternal grandmother that I despised. Kalma Ruth Woods. Ever since Amelia chose to call me Ruth in middle school, the name just stuck around.

   My eyes moved to the side, and I saw Ila standing by the entrance. "Please don't do it," she said as she walked in. I had no clue how she had even found me.

   "Go away Ila. Let me finish what I started," I muttered as I kept my focus on my two hostages.

   "I don't want you to go to jail," she replied.

   "I don't care. I'm doing this."

   "But w-why?" I heard sniffles, and I did a quick glance to find Ila crying. Seriously!?

   "Did you really come here to take up for Amelia!? She betrayed Rosabella for fuck sake. She is the main reason Rosie is dead," I yelled.

   "But she isn't," she whispered.

   "Maybe she wasn't fully responsible for her feelings towards Dorian, but she damn well could have taken up for Rosie when Ryan bullied her. But she!" I pointed at Amelia. "She and her boyfriend chose to stay quiet cause they can look good while letting Rosie get the bad name."

   "I stayed silent too," Ila whispered.

   "Ila, quit this bullshit and leave. I need to do this."

   "I should have said something!" Amelia cried. "But I was in shock when it happened. Dorian was scared of his dad and I-I was too ashamed. It wasn't my pride that stopped me. I swear! It was guilt and shame that held me back'"

   I chuckled, "Well you better be because Rosie is dead because of you."

   "Rosie isn't dead, Kalma!" Those three words grabbed all my attention, and I turned to her. For a moment, I looked at Ila in disbelief and she nodded.

   "W-what-" by the time I could finish the sentence, someone gave the gun in my hand a tug. My focus shifted to Isolda. She tried to pull the gun, and I grabbed her hand. She used her other hand to pull my hand. "Let go," I growled as we pulled at each other's hand. "No! Give me the gun!" she said as she kept tugging on the gun.

   "Ila do something! Stop standing there!" I howled. She was startled and reached for our hands. Not noticing the man on the floor, she tripped over him and fell on me. I fell backwards as I watched the gun fly in the air. I groaned in pain as my bum hit the ground. In the corner of my eyes, I saw Isolda run towards the gun and I threw myself forward to take it. A hand that's not mine grabbed it and I lifted my head to see who it was. I saw Amelia looking at the weapon and back at me.

   "Yay! shoot that bitch Ams," Isolda cheered.

   Amelia pointed the gun at me, and I raised my hand in the air. I swallowed my spit. "Stand up now!" her voice boomed. I nodded and stood up with my hand still hoisted up. "You too!" she gestured at Ila. Ila stood up and moved closer to me. "I'm sorry," I heard Ila whisper, and I rolled my eyes.

   Until that moment, all I wanted was to die. But at that moment, I wanted to live. I wanted to live for Rosie. I wanted to see my Rosabella, but the way Amelia looked told me that wasn't possible. Her eyes were red and her nose flared up. She looked back and forth at Ila and me. "C'mon shoot them!" Isolda yelled.

   "Please let Ila go. She had nothing to do with all this. Please, just let her go," I told her.

"Shut up! I know what I'm doing," Amelia snapped.

   This is my end. I knew it. I looked at Ila and wrapped my pinkie around hers. "Please don't do anything to her," I begged with tears in my eyes. I watched as Amelia's fingers laced around the trigger and I closed my eyes, preparing for the pain.

BOOM!

   I waited for the impact of the bullet, but I felt nothing. Panic flooded my body as I thought of Ila being shot. My eyes flew opened, and I looked at Ila. She was looking at me. I scanned her body and saw no blood. Then I noticed a figure slouched on the floor. "Why? I thought I was your friend?" Isolda whispered as she held her chest where blood gushed out from her fresh wound. I looked at Amelia in shock.

   "Take Ruth and leave," she told Ila, but we both just stood there in shock. How did she know me? I didn't think my first name would have given it away because I never used it. I always wrote my name as Ruth woods. Like as if she could read my thoughts she said, "We filled our names together in the form on our first day in middle school, remember? Just because I told you I'll call you Ruth doesn't mean I forgot your first name." I looked at Isolda and back at her. She did it for me? "Go. Leave now! It is for the best."

   Ila started tugging on my hand, but I didn't move. "Take good care of Rosie," she said with a smiled. I don't know why, but I felt a pang in my heart. I let Ila drag me as I watched Amelia shoot Isolda again and then the guy on the floor. My mind was in a buzz and I couldn't process what was happening. All this wasn't part of my plan. Rosie was alive? Amelia killed Isolda? Is Amelia the good guy? A million thoughts ran through my head as I was shoved into a car. What do I do now?