26. Devastation

As I regained my consciousness the next day, everything that happened felt foreign. My heart had gone numb again and the pain in my head was no more. I slowly opened my eyes and found myself in a white room. The room was empty. It only had an IV that was attached to my wrist. I was confused where I was for a moment. All the past incidents felt like a bad dream. But It wasn't long that I got my answers. The door opened and Ila walked in with her dad. Everything that happened started falling, hitting me on by one. Voices from outside got blocked out. All I could hear were my screams from the previous night, and the only thing I saw was Dylan and Marcel lying dead.

   "How is Marcel," I asked after I processed the whole thing. They both exchanged looks and Ila told her dad, "I'll talk to her. Go." He nodded and left us alone. She sat beside me and latched her fingers in my hair as she sadly smiled, "Oh Ruth." I clung onto her and she wrapped her arms around me. I tried to cry, but I felt too weak and had no tears left. "I'm sorry Ruth. I'm sorry I couldn't come in the night itself. My mum wouldn't let me. My dad told me you were covered in blood. My heart sank when I saw you unconscious before. What happened?" she rambled.

   I told what happened, and she listened with her hand on her mouth. "It is that bastard, isn't it? I must be him," she grumbled, and I nodded. "But how? Wasn't he in jail?"

   "He must be having sidekicks there, too. But what I don't understand is that why Marcel? Why shoot him?"

   "Maybe he found out they were related. Do you think Marcel is the one who has been doing all those things?" I shrugged. "Why did you go to Dylan's place, by the way?" she asked. Ila had no clue that I was behind all the things that happened and that Dylan was my partner in crime. The only person who knew was Allison. Not even Marcel knew. The only thing Ila knew about all this was Marcel's side of the story.

   "I uhm- I went to give him a letter that Jennifer gave me before I died. Thought he could use it. How is Marcel, by the way?" I asked and then I realized something. "Shit, I was supposed to give him blood."

   "My dad and Marcel have B positive blood group, Ruth. My dad gave him blood but he still critical." I sighed and nodded. "Shit. I don't know what to say. I know you were pretty close with Dylan because of Rosie and you also formed a bond with Marcel. This is terrible. I'm so sorry," she grabbed my hand as she spoke.

   I didn't know what to say, so I stayed silent. I felt a lump in my throat and it hurt. Ila held my hand while I stayed silent. Automatically, my mind drifted to Dylan again. All I could think was: He will never be able to win this case. He will never be able to see Marcel again. I'll never be able to eat his cupcakes. We'll never be able to go on missions like super duper spies. We'll never be able to watch Wall-E while we talk about Rosie. I'll never ever be able to do a bunch of things with him, just like I can't do it with Rosie anymore. I didn't realize I was crying until Ila pulled me into a hug again. "Oh, Ruth I'm so sorry."

   "Dylan was such a nice guy. He treated all of us like his own. He was a brother I always wanted, now he is gone too," I cried.

   "I know. I know love." She patted my back.

   "Why does life have to be unfair? All he wanted was to get justice for Rosabella. He loved her so much. He was a better father than her own. Even when he went away to Florida to work in the cyber team, he never missed a day to call her. Gosh, he couldn't even be there without her. Six months, he quits and comes back so he can be there for her. Who does that? Her own father didn't. He didn't deserve to die. Especially not like this."

   Ila kept saying she was sorry as she patted my back while I continued sobbing. Only a few days before, I was hugging him and now he was no more. Reality stung like hell.

   After a while, Ila pulled away and wiped my cheeks. She took out her lunch box and opened it. I saw rice and chicken but it didn't please me. "Let us eat. My dad says you look malnourished from the last time he saw you. Are you eating well, Ruth?" I shrugged. "Okay c'mon let's eat." She scooped some rice with the spoon and held it in front of my mouth. I shook my head. "I don't feel like it," I whispered. I had enough on my plate, so food wasn't an option.

   "Please, Ruth, eat for me. I can't see you like this." I just kept my head bent. "Please," she begged. I looked up and saw worry in her eyes. So I gave in and ate as she fed me.

   "Ey, you should go home and change."

   "Oh, my house was set on fire."

   She gasped. "What the- where is your grandmother?"

   "A friend of mine took her to a hotel."

   "This is all messed up. I'm really sorry. Don't worry, I'll get you some clothes and be back. This green down isn't sexy," she told me and stood up. I knew she tried to crack a joke at the end, but I didn't laugh. I couldn't.

   "No. It's okay."

   "Ey Ruth! For real bruh, that gown makes you look crazy. I'm buying you some clothes," she said. "My early birthday gift to you." She grinned. This time, I forced myself to smile for her.

   "Can you ask your dad if I can stay here for a while? I don't want to go back there," I asked.

   "Sure. Of course."

   "Also, please don't tell anyone that happened, or that Marcel is here. Tell your dad too."

   "Your secret is safe with me," she promised, and I knew she would keep it.

   Ila had her way to buy me clothes. Not just one, but two T-shirts with one skirt and a dress. "Thank you so much." I clung onto her. Three years ago, if you had to tell me I wouldn't be friends with Amelia, I wouldn't believe you. But right at that moment, I couldn't ask for a better person to share my grief with than Ila.

   "Can you promise me something else?" I asked.

   "Definitely."

   "Don't visit me-"

   "What-"

   "Ila, just listen. Please, it is dangerous. Your mum can't find out you are here. Especially Mr. Leek. I don't want to put you in danger. Can you please not visit or contact me?" She didn't look pleased. "Please, I can't lose you too."

   "I can't be at peace knowing you aren't okay, Ruth."

   "I'll be fine," I lied. "Please, just for a few days. Until Marcel wakes up."

   She came to say something, but then she stopped herself and nodded. She clung onto me one last time and kissed my head. I pulled away, remembering something else. "One more thing.. Can you take Rosie's Barny doll and put it in his coffin? Please. Barny will lead him to Rosie. At least let her have her brother back." She caressed my cheeks as she nodded and kissed my head before she left. I watched the last person left in my life walk out of it. I let out a heavy sigh as I sit there all alone with devastation as my only friend.