Before

09/05/2016

Rosie was soaking wet when she got home. The rain came down pretty heavy that day. She walked to the stairs and climbed it as her body shivered. As she passed Isolda's room, she noticed Bella wiping her head with a towel. She felt a pang in her heart. That missing piece of her mother caused her pain. She quickly went to her room and closed the door. Rosie took the towel and sloppily wiped her head. She looked at her mother's photo, wishing she were with her. With her head still slightly wet, she climbed into bed and fell asleep.

   When Rosie woke up, her whole body felt like it was on fire. Her head pounded, and she groaned. She tried sitting up but felt very week. "Roseee," she heard her step mum call. She walked inside and looked at her. Rosie sneezed and wiped her nose. "Rose, I need you to do the dishes and cook dinner for us. Isolda and I are going out," she said.

   "Bella, I don't feel so well." Her voice was sore.

   "Well, take a pill and do it cause those dishes aren't doing themselves," she replied and left. Rosie cried as she yearned for her mother's love. She grabbed the photo and kissed. "This place sucks," she whispered. She got out of bed and took a pill as Bella said. Her body throbbed as she walked. She changed into some dry clothes and went downstairs. The house was empty. She pulled out her jam playlist and placed her phone on the table, letting the music fill the silent house. Rosie took the scrubber and got ready to wash the greasy pile of vessels in front of her.

   Hardly after washing two utensils, she took time off to rest. She hadn't eaten anything from afternoon, so that kinda made her feel worse. Rosie moved to the fridge and grabbed the can of milk. She gulped some of it and went back to the dishes. Her eyes drooped, and she felt drowsy. The tablet started to kick in. She couldn't let that stop her, though. She continued washing and sang to the song playing. "Who says? Who says you're not prefect? Who says you're not worth it?," a loud masculine voice sang from behind. Rosie took a sharp turn and saw Dylan standing in front of her. She sneezed and wiped her nose before running to him.

   "God bless you, princess," he wished as he hugged her. Rosie sneezed again. "Are you okay?"

   She pulled away and shook her head. "I got a cold. Probably even a fever."

   "Why are you here instead of resting?"

   "Bella is gone out."

   "I don't know why your father still keeps her around." Dylan rolled his eyes. "Did you take any medicine?" Rosie nodded. "Okay, go upstairs and rest. I'll do this."

   "Let me help. Dinner needs to be made too," she protested, but Dylan wouldn't let her, "Rosabella, you know I won't take no for an answer. Now go up."

   "Fine."

   After an hour, Dylan woke her up and gave her a bowl of soup. It was his famous tuna soup with some Indian spices. "Gosh, the stinky soup," Rosie commented.

   "Drink it, young lady. I know you like it," Dylan said and she chuckled. After she finished the soup, Dylan checked her temperature. "Gesh you are at 102. You should go back to sleep."

   "Will you stay? Can I lie on your lap, please?" Dylan nodded and sat on her bed. Rosie laid her head on his lap. Dylan ran his hand through her hair and played with it. "Sing for me," she whispered.

   "I see skies of blue. Red roses too..."

   When Rosie woke up, Dylan wasn't around. She heard yelling downstairs. Rosie bolted out of the room and went downstairs. She found Dylan standing in Bella's room. "Don't lie! You literally just tried to throw yourself on me," Bella yelled, who was standing in only her petticoat and camisole. Beside her, Isolda stood crying.