Before

10/09/2013

Rosie used the spare key and went into her house. The house seemed lonely, just like how it has been ever since her mother died. The house inhabited inmates, but they weren't social with Rosie. Rosie missed her mother's greetings and kisses. Her stomach growled in hunger, so she went to the kitchen to eat. She went through the fridge and saw a yellow tin. The name was written in Swedish. She frowned, wondering whether or not to take it. Though she had no clue what it was, the image of a bread slice and a knife said it was a paste. So she grabbed the pack of bread and then looked around for a plate. The sink was heaped with dishes. Rosie was too tired to wash them. She noticed the six white ceramic plates on the shelves. No one ever used them. It came as Bella's wedding gift. She tip toed and tried reaching for it. With her two fingers, she slowly pulled it forward.

   "Rose!" a voice boomed, making Rosie to startle. The plate slipped from her grip and fell down. The cracking noise echoed through the house.

   "What was that?" Rosie carefully turned around as her heart raced in fear. Bella looked at the broken plate and back at Rosie. Her nostrils flared up as she stomped towards her.

   "I swear it was an accident," she whispered.

   "Gosh my 2,500 kronor China ceramic," Bella whined as she took the pieces in her hand. She placed it on the counter and looked at Rosie. "I-I'm sorry," she shuttered.

   "How dare you break my plate," Bella yelled and slapped Rosie. The sudden force caused Rosie to stumble back. She grabbed the counter to balance herself. Her eyes welled with tears as she looked at Bella. "Why did you hit me? I told you it was an accident," Rosie cried.

   "You dare to back answer me," Bella growled. "You will be punished, child. As a punishment, you will clean this place and do the dishes. Do you understand?"

"But I'm tired. Can I do it later," Rosie pleaded.

   "You dare to talk back!" she exclaimed, and caught Rosie's hand. "Listen to me, din lilla råtta (you little rat). You do what I say or you get no lunch or dinner."

   Rosie's stomach grumbled again. She pushed Bella's ran and took off. "Rose! Rose! Come back her this instant," she commanded. Rosie ignored her and opened the door. She looked at her angry stepmom one last time before she started running. Bella chased her up to the gate, yelling at her in Swedish. Rosie ignored her and kept running as fast as she could. The poor thing was crying violently that she didn't see the black Chevrolet Spark coming in front of her. The car ended up bumping into her, and she fell down. She groaned in pain as she felt her hand burn. She sat up and looked at the fresh bruise on her pale skin.

   Meanwhile, the driver had gotten down and saw the little girl. "Oh, my gosh Rosabella, are you okay?" she looked up and saw her favorite person. She showed him her hand. He squatted down and examined her hand. "Oh my, darling sorry," Dylan said. "Come, let me take you home and get you cleaned."

   "No, I don't want to go home," she cried as he carried her and clung onto him.

   "I meant mine."

   Dylan took her to his house and made her to sit on the couch. He rushed to the bathroom and grabbed the first aid kit. He kneeled in front of her and grabbed a tube of Arnica. "This is going to sting. Bite your teeth, okay?" she did as he said while Dylan treated her wound and bandaged it.

   Then He kept back the supplies and joined Rosie on the couch. "Why were you running on the street?" he enquired.

   "B-Bella hit me," she shuttered.