Epilogue

"Come with me, Ruth. Come to my office," Mrs. Kent said and started walking.

   "Is everything okay?" I asked as I felt a little nervous.

   "Yes. Yes." She opened the door, and I saw Officer Wilson in her office. I wished him a good evening and then looked at Mrs. Kent. "Mr. Wilson wanted to talk to you. I will just wait outside," she said and left. My heart skipped a beat as I watched the door close. Suddenly I felt fear, a fear that I never felt all this while when I was taking revenge. Maybe because Karma is gone?

   "How is your night going?" He asked.

   "Good. Thank you for helping with the case of Mr. Leek," I told him, since I never really got to thank him. "Means a lot."

   "Just doing my job." I nodded. "So Ms. Woods, as you know, Isolda Davis was found dead recently. Mrs. Davis claims you have something to do with this. What do you have to say?" He asked me the same question he had asked two weeks ago when they had finally found her body.

   "She is just mad I put her in jail," I replied.

   "So you were in no way was involved? You sure you haven't been to that part of Bridgewoods before?" he interrogated.

   "Never."

   All this while I was confident that I was playing it safe, but my confidence came shattering when he pulled out an object from his pocket and held it out. Marcel's chain. "Is this not yours? The one you wore at court?" He asked. "The pen drive you gave fits perfectly to this hoop."

   There were two ways this could go. I could say it wasn't mine and let Marcel get pinned to it or stay silent. I chose the latter and just nodded.

   "So can you explain what your chain was doing in the grass of the crime scene?"

   I didn't reply. I just stared at the chain in silence. All I could think of was how foolish I've been. There is always a hole. No matter how flawless you think your plot is, there is always going to be a loophole.

   "Mrs. Woods answered me," his voice boomed, startling me.

   "I'm sorry," was all I could manage to say. I thought of the life I was about to lose. I believed life gave me a second chance with Rosie and my dad. Oh, what a fool! This was it. I chuckled at the irony of life and wiped the tears that rolled down my cheeks.

   "What's so funny?" he asked and I looked at him and shook my head. "It's just all this while I yearned for my end. I knew once I was done with everything, the end would find me. I was ready for it when I started. Ready to die. Ready to go to jail. It is just funny that now that it is here to take me. I no longer wanted it." He observed me as I spoke. "I guess I don't have a choice..." I trailed off.

   He said nothing and just stared at me with scrutiny. He was trying to read my mind, I guess? I stretched out my hand for him to handcuff me. "It is what it is, I guess," I sighed. "Go ahead."

   He placed the chain in my hand, and I looked at him. "I'm not going to arrest you," he said.

   "But why?" To say I was shocked would be an understatement.

   "I'm giving you another chance, Ruth. I know Dylan helped you too in this. But I also know why you did all this. I've been enquiring about you and everyone gave me a good account of you. I think you've been punished more than you deserved at this young age itself, so I'm not going to add on to it. But if I find you did-"

   Even before he could finish his sentence, I was shaking my head as I cried in joy, "No! No! My Rosie is back. She is all I need. She makes me me. I won't do anything. I'm done. I promise."

   He nodded. "I'm not going to arrest you, however I need you to do something."

   "Yes?"

   "I've spoken to your dad, and I know you've been through a lot of trauma at such a young age. So I've spoken to a good psychiatrist I know. I need you to attend the sessions she gives you for the next six months. I need you to take these therapy sessions."

   I just couldn't believe he was trying to help me. I was given redemption. The last piece of fear that gripped onto me, finally let go. I was free!

   "I will! Thank you! Gosh thank you so much!" I cried. My nose was running, and I was crying like a child, but I didn't mind. I was just too happy. Mr. Wilson took out a handkerchief and handed it to me. "Here, wipe your face and go on out there. Don't keep your friends waiting." I smiled and took it.

   I wiped my face and gave him back his hanky. "Thank you for doing this," I whispered.

   "Now go."

   I ran. I ran and ran as fast as I could, not being able to wait any longer to hug the second chance I was given. My body got engulfed in the crowd as soon as I walked into the gym. I looked around, trying to find Rosie. I asked a few people if they saw her and they shook their heads. Then I saw her blonde locks. She was looking for something, too. Her eyes fell on me and it lit up. I ran towards her and she pushed her way through the crowd. We met in the middle and a slow song started to play. I watched her blush, and her smile made my heart leap. Everyone around us got into position. I scratched my neck, feeling awkward. What should I do? I wondered.

   "Wanna dance?" My Rosabella asked, making my heart skip another beat.

   "Yes. Yes! I would love to!"

   She placed her hand on my shoulder, and I gently placed my hand on her waist. "Where were you?" She whispered as she looked into my eyes.

   I lowered my head and whispered, "Sorry. Mrs. Kent wanted to see me. Is everything okay?"

   "I just got worried," she replied, and all I could say was "oh". I felt my heart racing while everything around us moved in slow motion. She blushed, making a little huff noise which made me really curious, "Are you okay?" I asked.

   She nodded, and I asked nothing further. We just stared at each other while we continued slow dancing to the music. I tried my best not to look at her lips, that I longed to kiss.

   Another slow song followed, and we continued dancing. "You look beautiful," I told her. "I can't take my eyes off of you." I mentally slapped myself for saying the last part. Rosie just blushed, her cheeks turning a deeper pink and nodded.

   Gosh, her smile was intoxicating to me. I just couldn't take it anymore, so I moved closer. She didn't resist, and I took it as a sign. I slipped my hand around her waist and rested my forehead on hers. I let out a heavy breath and tried to speak, "Can I uhm Can I-"

   "Just kiss me," she whispered, staring right into my eyes like she was trying to reach for my soul that belonged to her.

   I pulled her closer and leaned in as I closed my eyes. Our lips came together, and I felt fireworks in me like a celebration for a land that was once divided, has finally united. Our lips moved in sync as flowers bloomed with passion. Roses. Roses. Roses everywhere. Fluttering butterflies and fireworks of joy exploded for a land that has found its soul. They were one entity now, and nothing could ever split them again.