24. Another Brave Soul

I paced around in my room waiting for my partner to text me. Finally, my phone binged and I read the text from him. You can call now. I quickly called him and he picked up. "Hey. What's the update on Leek?" I asked as I paced around. "He's behind bars, right? You arrested him, right?"

   "Yes. Calm down. He is behind bars."

   "Where are you?"

   "At home. Ms. Lakewood is taking care of the station at night."

   "Okay."

   "Listen, I don't know how long this evidence can keep him in. I need more solid evidence-"

   "Yes. I'll bring everything, including Rosie's diary. Tomorrow see that you arrest Bella. I wanna see them both rot in jail," I told him.

   "Copy that."

   I ended the call and called Allison next. "Hey Al, I need to give the video to Dylan. He says he won't be able to hold Leek for too long, so can I give him the video?"

   There was silence on her end. I knew she was debating. Remember when she asked me to promise her something? She made me promise that I wouldn't tell anyone about the assault. So obviously when I told Allison that I had a video of Leek assaulting her brother, she begged me not to give it. She was scared what will happen to her family and what Leek might do to them. I totally understood where she was coming from and so I kept the video away from the cops. But I didn't think I could any longer. I knew that was the only proof that will keep Mr. Leek in forever.

   "Leek is gone way too far, Allison. I'll make sure Dylan gives it to no one. We need to do this. This is our last chance to do away with Leek for good," I explained.

   "Okay, but can I come with you?"

   "This late?" I was shocked. She usually never accompanied my partner and I.

   "Yes. Meet me by church."

   "Okay."

   I changed my clothes and grabbed my phone, Rosie's diary, and the CD with the video evidence. I sneaked out of my house praying my grandmother wouldn't find out and left. I drove to the car and looked around. I found her nowhere. I parked my car and texted her: Where are you? She didn't reply, so I closed the windows and stayed inside.

   Couple of minutes passed, and I heard someone knock on the door. I saw Allison's chestnut hair, and I opened the door. She got in as she spoke, "Sorry. My parents went to bed late."

   "It's fine." I started the car, but it refused to move. "What's the matter?" she asked. I looked at the diesel level and saw it was low. "Fuck, we are out of fuel," I cursed. I got down and looked at her. "Stay here. I'll go buy some and come."

   "I'll come too."

   "No. Stay. It is pretty late."

   "You can't go out there alone," she warned.

   "This is the time that I usually pull my tricks. So I will be fine. Don't worry." I closed the door and started to walk away. I knew there was a station that sold diesel only a few meters away. I walked to the station and to my bad luck they had no diesel available. I groaned in frustration. I texted Allison, letting her know I'm fine before I walked further down town to find fuel.

   By the time I came back, it was 11. 30. "What took you so long? You took half an hour. I was so worried!" Allison exclaimed. I explained to her what had happened as I filled the car with the fuel. Then I got in and turned the key. Hearing the engine made me smile, and we were back on the road again.