Before

01/07/2018

Ruth stood on the front porch, ringing the doorbell for the second time. "Agh, what's taking them so long?" She muttered. There was still no response, so she rang it again. Finally, she heard the latch noise and the door opened. Isolda stood in front of her with her hair wrapped with curlers. She rolled her eyes and walked away without saying a word. Ruth walked inside and looked at the big crucifix hanging in the living room. She put the sign of the cross before strolling upstairs. She went into Rosie's room. Rosie was fast asleep. Ruth slowly tiptoed up to the bed and then jumped on top of her. "Wake up sleepy queen!!" She yelled in her face. Rosie chuckled and pushed Ruth off of her. She sat up and pushed her hair out of her face as she yawned. Ruth laid beside her, watching her closely. She lifted her hand and ran it through Rosie's luscious curls as she spoke, "Go get some pretty pants on. We are leaving to the beach."

After a shower, Rosie sat on the floor while Ruth did her hair. Ruth loved touching Rosie's hair and playing with it. Her blonde long locks were fancied by a lot of people. Ruth put her hair into a braid crown. She took out a flower she had picked on the way and put it in Rosie's hair. "A rose for a Rosie." Rosie looked in the mirror and smiled.

They walked up to the door when a voice yelled, "You're going out!? Ooh! I'm so going to tell mum." Rosie turned and looked at her sister. Her straight brown hair was now curly. Rosie chuckled, "Trying to imitate me I see."

"They look better on me," Isolda said as she flipped her hair behind. Rosie shook her head as she chuckled. "Where are you going?" asked the nosey stepsister. "To have fun," Rosie simply replied as she grabbed Ruth's hand and started walking.

"Get back here! You got to do the dishes! I'll tell mum," Isolda yelled, standing on the front porch. "Du kommer hamna i trubbel! (you'll get in in trouble)"

They got in Ruth's car and closed the door, cutting out Isolda's ranting. "5 years and still you two don't get along," Ruth remarked as she placed her hand on the steering wheel and started the car.

"Stepfamily sucks," Rosie shrugged.

"Not all step-families," Ruth retorted.

"I know. I just got blessed with the worst." Ruth chuckled, agreeing to that. "So hey, let's pick up Amelia and Ila on our way" There was a moment of silence. Ruth looked at Rosie and found her deep in thoughts. "Rosie..." She looked at her, "Uh?"

"Are you okay?" Rosie nodded and said, "Let's not." For a minute Ruth was confused, so Rosie's continued, "Let's just hang out. The two of us."

"Is everything okay?"

"Yes. Yes. They both are just busy," Rosie lied.

"Oh okay."

They both laid in the sun with sun cream applied all over their body. Ruth removed her sunglasses and looked at the girl beside her. "Nothing like a day on the beach," she commented, making Rosie chuckle and nod.

"Do you want some Vodka?" Rosie asked and sprang to her feet. Ruth sat up and yawned. "Are you gone nuts? We are only 16," she remarked.

"Well I feel the need to drink, and I'm gonna do it," Rosie said as she walked away. Ruth quickly got up and grabbed her hand. "Are you crazy? You never drink!"

"Well we are 16 Ruth! Let's try it out! Like a dare or something. If you don't like it, I won't force you." Ruth hesitated. "C'mon. What's the harm with a little liquor. We are just trying to have fun before school." Ruth bobbed her head and followed her.

Rosie flirted with a guy she had her eyes on and got him to buy them two a drink. "Can't believe you just did that," Ruth exclaimed as she giggled and followed Rosie. They both sat on their blanket and Rosie handed her a glass. Ruth sipped on the liquor and frowned. She whipped her lips with her hand and watched Rosie. She gulped the drink without hesitation. "Gosh, how are you drinking that? It tastes weird." Rosie chuckled and gently pinched Ruth's chin. "Such a good girl," she commented.

Ruth rolled her eyes and said, "Whatever." Rosie grabbed her glass and gulped that down too. "Are you okay?" Ruth asked in concern. Rosie kept her glass down and looked at her friend. "I'm just asking cause this all seems all of a sudden," Ruth continued.

Rosie placed her hand on Ruth's and held it. She didn't answer her question, instead she said, "Thank you so much."

"For what?" she frowned in confusion.

Rosie giggled and lifted Ruth's hand to her lips. She kissed her knuckles and whispered, "For not hurting me." Those words were barely auditable, and Ruth couldn't hear it over all the noise. "What? Thanks for what?" Ruth repeated.

"Oh just for everything," she said and sprang up. Before Ruth can even reply, Rosie grabbed her hand and pulled her to her feet. "C'mon let's go play in the water!!"

By the time they made their way back home, it had turned dark. Both the girls were full of smiles and drenched. Beach sand was all over their feet. They chuckled as they dusted their legs on the door mat. Rosie carefully unlocked the door, trying not to draw much attention. She held Ruth's hand as they tip toed up to the stairs. "Lite runt (Little runt) where did you go?!!" a voice boomed across the house. Rosie chuckled and dragged Ruth as she ran up the stairs. "Come her you lite runt! Come here! I'm going to tell your father!" Bella continued to yell downstairs. Rosie took her best friend into her room and closed the door. Rosie spread her arms and fell on the bed. Ruth laid down beside her as they chuckled while Bella continued yelling downstairs. "She just doesn't get tired, uh?"

"Nope," Rosie giggled.

After Bella had fallen asleep, the two girls crept downstairs to get something to eat. Rosie opened the fridge and found nothing edible inside. She rolled her eyes and looked at Ruth. "Bloody witch kept nothing for me." She shook her head and grabbed the bottle of milk. "Let's eat some cereals." Rosie walked up to the cupboard and opened it. The cereal box was kept on the top most shelf. She got on her tip toe trying to reach for the box, but her height of 5.7 wasn't helping. She turned around and found Ruth already hovering over her. Ruth was around 5.9 and was way taller than most girls in Bridgewoods. Rosie looked at the girl in front of her and her breath hitched. Maybe it was because Ruth was pressed against her. She had never looked at her this way before, but suddenly Ruth looked more beautiful than she remembered.

"Here you go," Ruth held out the box. Rosie took the box, but didn't take her eyes off Ruth. Ruth realized how close she was standing to her best friend, and her heart skipped a beat. Her face was only a few inches away from Rosie's. Her soothing lavender perfume filled Ruth's nostrils and she felt drawn by those sapphire orbs. One minute they were staring eye to eye, and the next minute they were kissing. Who leaned in? No one remembered, but the way the left could never be forgotten. Heart beat against heart beat. Lips pressed to hers. There kiss lasted for barely a few minutes, but it was the best few minutes in Ruth's life. When they pulled away, both were in smiles. But then Rosie's smile dropped. Ruth noticed her looking behind her and turned around, but found no one. She looked back at Rosie and opened her mouth to speak, but Rosie cut her off, "It's late. I'm feeling tired. School starts tomorrow, so it's better we sleep early."

Ruth stood there in hesitation. She didn't know whether to talk about the kiss or not. Maybe Rosie didn't like it? Well, at least that's what Ruth thought. "Okay goodnight." She said nothing more and left. But just as she was about to get into her car, Rosie called out to her. She quickly turned around with a broad smile. Rosie ran and clung onto her. Ruth wrapped her arms around her and stood there without saying a word for a while. But then Rosie pulled away, and she walked back to her house without saying a word, leaving Ruth even more confused.