20. Tears and Stains

Ruth looked around, making sure no one was watching before she knocked on the door. The inhabitant took few minutes to open it. He was surprised to see Ruth at his front door, since she never visits him at home. He gestured her to come in and quickly closed the door. "What are you doing here?" He asked as he grabbed his glasses and wore it. The skinny figure pushed back his long black hair with his fingers as he looked at her. Ruth just stood there, not daring to look at him. "Are you okay?" He inquired and stepped closer to her. She shook her head as she burst into tears and clung onto him. The young male patted her back as he whispered, "Hey. Hey what's wrong?"

   Ruth wiped her cheeks and looked at the man she thought highly of. "I know Rosabella came to you whenever she needed to talk. I didn't know where else to do," she finally acknowledged his question.

   Dylan nodded and gestured her to sit. They both sat on the couch and she stared at her hand. "What happened, Ruth?" Ruth explained everything to him, from kissing Rosie to kissing Allison to him.

   "It just makes me guilty, you know. When I kissed her, all I saw was Rosabella and all I could think of was her. Now not enough feeling guilty for having to cause Rosie to die. I also feel guilty for kissing someone else," she cried. "If only I didn't kiss her, she would be alive."

   "Oh no. No. No. Ruth, please don't blame yourself. You kissed her because you loved her. She kissed you too. It wasn't the kiss that caused her to die. It was this town," Dylan clarified as he gently placed his hand on her shoulder.

   "I just can't help feeling guilty, Dylan. Maybe if I didn't buy the ice cream that day. Maybe if I listened closer, I could have saved her," she went on. It was easy for Ruth to speak to him, for this wasn't the first time they met after Rosie's death.

   Dylan stayed silent, and his hand dropped. Ruth turned and looked at him. She found him deep in thoughts. "What's wrong?" she whispered. He turned and looked at her. She noticed tears in his eyes as he shook his head and said, "It just I b-blame myself too." His voice cracked. The incident that happened on the eve of her dead played in his mind. "I believed her too when she said everything was fine. I should have known. I never saw her cry the way she did that day. It had so much pain in it. Just hearing it made my heart break. If only I knew..." he trailed off.

   Ruth placed her hand on his, and he looked at her. "Sorry, I'm putting this on you instead of comforting you. I don't know what to say."

   Ruth shook her head and squeezed his hand. "It's okay." Dylan nodded. They both just sat there in silence. Cool wind blew through the window and the silence felt peaceful. Ruth felt at ease by the presence of that man. She leaned back on the couch and rested her head on his shoulder. "I miss her a lot, too. I promised her I'll keep her safe, but I didn't. I suck at promises," he whispered.

   "You tried you best Dylan. Rosie always spoke about you. The way she spoke made me wish I had a brother like you. You were her hero," Ruth told him.

   "Yeah, a shitty one," he scoffed.

   "I believe in you," Ruth whispered.

   He rested his head on hers. "She used to talk about you too, you know? All of you girls. As for you, she highly admired you. She described you as a kind soul," Dylan spoke after a while. Ruth hummed in response.

   She lifted her head and looked at him. "Can we watch Wall - E?"

   "Yes! Yes! Yes!"

***

The weekend passed. Then Monday came. We hoped for the call, but it never came. Then Tuesday came, but we had nothing yet.

   It was Wednesday afternoon, everyone was in the cafeteria having lunch. Ruth was sitting with Ila and Mara by the window. "Ruth, look," Ila nudged her as she looked at something behind her. Ruth turned her head and saw Isolda walking in with Amelia. Her blood boiled at the sight. It wasn't the girl that made her teeth grind and her fist clench. It was the blue sweater she was wearing. Her Rosie's sweater. The one her mum stitched for her. The one Rosie gave Ruth. She mentally yelled at herself for leaving it at the Davis' on that rainy day. "How dare she?" She got up, but Ila grabbed her hand and shook her head, "Don't."