18. Pride Flags

Ruth sighed and rested her face in her hand. There were still 15 minutes left, but she couldn't take it anymore. Not just her, everyone was bored out by Mr. Gap's lecture. Ruth stood up and excused herself to the washroom. She left the classroom and staggered her way into the toilet. Ruth took her own sweet time to finish her work, as she didn't want to go back to class. She walked to the faucet and washed her hands. Just as she was about to open the door, it opened on its own, revealing Amelia. They both looked at each other. Ruth moved left to give her way whilst Amelia did the same thing. Ruth tried to move, and so did Amelia. They both stopped and looked at each other again. Amelia gestured her to go and Ruth started walking when something caught her skirt. Ruth closed her eyes for a second, feeling a bit agitated. She turned around and so it caught on the latch. Both the girls exchanged looks again. No one said anything. Amelia removed her skirt from the latch and Ruth nodded. She quickly turned around and started walking back to class. The closer she got, she started hearing music. She frowned. Someone was singing and people were cheering. Ruth saw a crowd standing by the main entrance. She checked her class and found it empty. As she made away to the crowd, someone popped out from it and ran towards her. The sight of Marcel made her smile.

   "Come soon! You have no clue what's happening! You need to see this," Marcel exclaimed as he grabbed Ruth's wrist. She walked along with him as he dragged her. "What's all the commotion about," she asked, but he didn't answer. As she made her way through the crowd, she had a clear view of what was happening. She gasped.

   A truck with a big stage set on it was standing in the middle of their school ground. Men wearing dresses with wigs and a thick layer of makeup stood on it. They pranced about the stage as they sang an upbeat song. A girl dressed in a rainbow stripped sweater and black pants was riding a hover board. She went around giving away pride flags. Few of the drag queens got down and walked around the ground.

   "What is happening? Who did this?" Ruth asked while she looked at the show in awe. Marcel clapped his hands and cheered along with the crowd. "I-I have no clue, but isn't thus awesome!" he replied. Ruth nodded and took the flag from the girl. She looked at her and was almost taken back by how beautiful she looked. She had blue eyes and short blonde hair. Honestly, if Rosie cut her hair, she would look like her. So no wondered Ruth looked at her like she was a fairy. The girl smiled and then carried on with her task.

   The drag queens started pulling students to dance. One of them caught Marcel's hand, and he giggled. He looked at Ruth and she shook her head. "Hell no!" she warned. Despite it, Marcel grabbed her hand and pulled her along. "C'mon it will be fun." They got dragged to the center and the drag queens cheered. Marcel joined the other students and started dancing. Ruth stood there nervously and shifted on her feet. "C'mon you can do it. Dance for Rosie!" she bobbed her head and started moving her hand. She saw the enormous crowd watching her and felt nervous. She turned her attention back to Marcel and started dancing. Soon she was jamming side by side with the drag queens.

   Some of the teachers tried getting the drag queens to leave, but they ignored them. So Thompson and his team were called. Just as his car stopped in front of the school, a big van stopped in front of his car. A bunch of people got down holding cameras and mics. He watched as they hustled into the school. Thompson gestured his team to stay low and made it inside the gates. He looked around for Mr. Leek but all he saw was men with long gowns. He smirked, thinking of how uncomfortable Leek must be looking. Right as he thought his eyes feel on the uncomfortable square face man. He had a big frown on his face. Thompson made his way to him and Leek growled, "What the fuck are you doing? Chase them!"

   "I can't sir. The media is involved. If the cops get involved, things might get nasty. You don't want that now, do you?"

   Leek groaned in frustration and watched them. One of the dancers walked up to him and threw glitter on him. Leek gasped and coughed as he dusted his face. "Stupid fucking Fag!" Leek yelled and went to hit the drag queen. Thompson was quick to grab him. "Sir. Media," he hissed. Leek rolled his eyes and looked at the drag queen. They just chuckled and walked away. Thompson tried his very best not to laugh.

   The glittered square face man caught the small smile that crept on Thompson's face. "This is funny to you, isn't it? You are enjoying it, uh?" Leek asked in despise.

   "I'm just smiling at the show Mr. Leek."

   After a couple of songs, all the drag queens got on the stage and one of them asked the crowd to bow their heads. "Everyday someone in our community commits suicide. Kids get raped. Murdered. Let us all take a moment for those departed souls. If you have any friends who have died recently, think of them-" People started whispering as the speaker continued to pray.

   "Let us wave our flags as the next home is sung." Everyone obeyed and started swaying their flag as a gospel home was sung. I looked at Leek, but as I expected, he didn't seem triggered. But I knew any minute it could happen...

   After the hymn, the Press started interviewing the drag queens, asking them where they were from? How long they've been doing this? Who brought them here? They ignored the latter and replied to the rest. Now the thing with the Press is you can't ignore them. So the question was brought forth again to the drag-queen that prayed. "Who invited you all to come here? We never had a parade like this in Bridgewoods before."

   "Oh, we were-"

   "I did!" a voice came from the crowd. All eyes turned to Leek, who stepped forward. Immediately, the Press surrounded him and started bombarding him with questions.

   "What made you bring them here?"

   "Are you an ally or part of the community?"

   "Isn't this a Christian school?" counselor

   "Yes, it is. I called these lovely people here because as part of this town's councilor, I wanted to show that I'm supportive of people being who they want to be. The community is growing in our current generation. Even people among us are part of it. I just wanted to show them that they are safe in this town to be themselves," he acknowledged.

   I stared at him in disbelief. "You gotta be fucking kidding me," Marcel muttered, to which Ruth agreed. I must inform you know, readers, the parade wasn't part of my plan. But whoever did it was most probably trying to trigger Mr. Leek, which only ended up with a plot twist. I saw Thompson's lips move. "What the fuck?" he most likely said.

   "Such a sneaky little bastard," I whispered, and kicked the ground.

   The media praised him and slowly, one by one, they left. Once the course was clear, Leek smiled and told the students, "I hope you enjoyed the show. Now please go back to your classrooms. Teachers take your students." One by one, they left too. After everyone was gone, it was only Leek and Thompson. "You just made use of the situation, didn't you?" Thompson asked.

   "Yes. Smart, am I not? Now everyone sees me as a hero," he grinned and adjusted his cuffs. His golden Rolex watch sparkled in the sun. He looked at Thompson frowning and chuckled, "Awe Thompson, are you disappointed that your stupid evidence is of no use anymore?" He patted his back. "You don't need that. You only need proof for villains. I'm a good man. Now c'mon let's go have some coffee, shall we?"

   Feeling defeated once again, Thompson obeyed and followed Leek.