5. The Letters

Ruth removed the blue sweater that she was wearing and looked at it. The ice cream stain was no longer on it. She removed her uniform and changed into the purple dress. The pile of wet clothes she kept beside her bag on the floor. She went back into Rosie's closet and took her jewelry box. She sat down and opened it. Inside, she saw a blue clover leaf ring. Ruth took it and looked at it as tears rolled down her cheeks. She took the green stoned ring from her finger. She grabbed a chain from Rosie's box and threaded both the rings through the chain. Ruth put it around her neck and clipped it. She got up and went to the mirror. She saw a bony looking frail thing in the glass. Her eyes were puffy and big dark patches surrounded her lower eyelids. The dress that once fit her hung loosely on her shoulders. Her copper hair that dangled over her pale shoulder blades looked darker from being wet. The girl in the mirror looked tired. There was pain in her blue eyes. She took the rings and pressed it to her lips.

   Though the ring was something Amelia gave, Ruth kept it because it was that ring that Rosie cherished and wore it every single day until last year. Rosie believed the ring was her good luck charm. Guess the ring stopped working after new year's eve.

   Ruth sighed and sat on the bed. She removed her shoes and socks that were soaking wet and tucked her feet under the warm sheet. She laid down and inhaled the lavender perfume from the sheet. Ruth hugged Rosie's pillow and cried some more before she fell asleep on Rosie's bed.

   It had turned dark by the time she woke up. The sun was almost out of sight. Ruth yawned and sat up. It took her a moment to realize where she was. She turned on the light and looked for her clothes, but only saw her shoe standing by her bag. The shoes were no longer wet. She wore it on and grabbed her bag. Her feet still felt like they were standing on ice. Ruth walked into the closet and looked around for a pair of white socks. She knew Rosie would have some spare pairs somewhere. On the topmost shelf, she saw a box labeled extras. She stood on her tiptoes and tried taking it. The extra box and the box on top of it ended up falling on her. Ruth sat down and picked the little pieces of clothing. She neatly folded them and put them back in the box. She pulled a pair of white socks over her feet before clapping on her shoe again. Ruth grab the other thin box and examined it. It was rather small that the others. She opened the box out of curiosity. Inside She found a letter, shreds of paper, some photos and a cassette inside. As she examined the cassette and the letter, she realized they were from one person. Marcel Einstein. She even found his name on a few pieces of paper, which must have been letters too that were now torn.

   "Who is this?" she whispered as she went through the photos. There were three pictures of Rosie with a little boy. Rosie never mentioned a Marcel before. Who could this be? There was only one Marcel she knew that had the same name and features, but it seemed impossible to be him.

Dear Rosabella,
I know we don't talk anymore and I'm sorry that I have even ignored you over the past few years. Just know that it was me, not you. I promise, I will tell you why when I'm ready. How are you? I've seen you have lovely friends. I'm thrilled for you. I pray to the good God that he showers you with blessings. I pray everyday I do. But I guess God didn't hear me this time for I have bad news. You might think I didn't care, but I do. I'm always looking out for you. I have discovered something and I'm going to share it with you. The other day, I saw your boyfriend kissing another girl. First, I thought my eyes had deceived me, but no. I saw with my own eyes Dorian Grey kissing-

   Ruth heard footsteps and quickly stood up. She hastened and run out of the closet. She pushed the box with letters in her bag and zipped it.

   "Oh, you are awake."

   She looked up and saw Mr. Davis smiling at her. "Yeah, I hope it's okay I'm wearing this?" she said, gesturing to her costume.

   "Yes. Of course." She nodded and bent to grab her bag. When she lifted her head, she found Mr. Davis standing only an inch away from her. She stepped back and looked at him. She noticed tears in his eyes. "Mr. Davis, are you okay?" he nodded and places his hand on her shoulder. "You look so much like her," he whispered. Ruth wanted to comfort him, but she had other work to do. "Mr. Davis, sorry but I have to go," she said. He nodded and stepped back. "Can I drop you?"

   "It's okay. No need to trouble yourself. I'll just walk."

   "Love, it's dark. I can't let you go out alone. Let me drive you."

   "But I'm going to the Einstein's. I have to talk to Marcel."

   "I'll wait for you outside. They live next door anyway." She nodded.

   Ruth ran to the brown door and rang the doorbell in a hurry. The door opened, revealing an old man. "Uhm is Marcel home?"

   "No love. He's gone out. Do you-" Ruth didn't stay to listen. She bobbed her head and walked away. She got into Mr. Davis' car and he turned on the engine.

   "How are you Ruth?"

   "I'm good. And yourself?"

   "I'm trying."

   Ruth hummed in response. She looked outside the window while her mind drifted to the things inside the little box. She had so many questions and was deep in thoughts. But that was until Mr. Davis asked her something that threw her off guard.

   "So, Ruth, did anything happen in school today?"