31. Play Along

Allison touched my hand, and I looked at her. She shun a light on my hand as her fingers traced my wound. I flinched and muttered, "Don't. Just do what was planned."

   "Just let me bandage this."

   "We don't have time," I replied.

   She grabbed her handkerchief. "Okay, let me tie this. Please Ruth," she begged. I gave in and let her the hanky around my arm. I hissed in pain as she tightened the knot. "Sorry," she whispered. I nodded and pushed her arm. "Go. We don't have time." She obeyed and left.

   I grabbed Bulcock's leg and dragged him to the room. I heard the music stop, and the lights came on. I pulled him into the bathroom and laid him on the dirty brown floor. It disgusted me how dirty a single man can be. I took out a brush and a bottle of fake blood from my pocket. I ran the bristles over the dirty floor, gently writing the letters k-a-r-m-a on it. I stood up and frowned, feeling disgusted by all the blood. I dumped the bottle and brush in the first aid kid. I put back all the supplies that Bulcock took out from the box before I closed it and pushed under my hoodie.

   I looked at Bulcock's hand that was still in the living room and mentally face palmed myself for the clumsiness. I grabbed it, along with the axe, and went back to the bathroom. I threw it on top of his body and grabbed my mask. I wore it on and left. I turned off the living room lights before I climbed out of the window. My arm stung, and it took everything in me not to scream. I laid on the grass and started to crawl out through the broken fence when the pain got worse. I groaned and looked at my arm. I saw the handkerchief caught on the fence.

   "Fuck." I laid there in between the fence, trying to untie the knot. Allison had tied it pretty tight, so it seemed impossible. I heard a car sound in a distance and I knew Leek was back. I bit my teeth as I dragged my body forward. The fence tugged on the hanky, causing me more pain. I used all my strength to pull my hand and finally the hanky came loose. I quickly climbed out and grabbed the hanky. I dunked down as I walked to the bushes and hid behind it. I took my phone and hit the send button. I watched the bathroom light go on. I waited. After all, he needed time to watch the video.

   "Who is this?" he growled as he picked up.

   "Calm down Evin. Getting angry won't help you," I chuckled.

   "I know this is you, Marcel. I'm calling the cops. How dare you-"

   "Sure, and I'll just give them that video I sent you. Hmm, imagine the news tomorrow. Small town counselor turns out to be a homophobic rapist."

   "What do you want?" he asked in a calmer tone.

   "That's the spirit. I want you to clean up the mess I made and bury the body."

   "I'm not-"

   "Uh. Uh. Uh, this is only the beginning, Evin. You better get used to it cause if you refused, that video of you humping Stewart is going viral," I threatened. "I'm sure you don't want that. Now do you?"

   "Okay. I'll do it. I'll even give you all the money. Just please don't send that video," I heard a crack in his voice and I knew he was crying. The sight of his dead friend must have been a wonderful gift. Serves him right for taking my Dylan.

   "We'll talk about that later. Now quick, you got a body to bury," I said and ended the call.

   I sat there as I watched the house. I took some medicine and poured it on my wound. I bit my lips as the place stung. Tear streamed down my cheeks from the unbearable pain. "For Dylan," I whispered. I wrapped a bandage around my arm and over that I tied the hanky. I noticed Leek through the fence and stopped what I was doing. I heard digging and I smiled. I dialed 911 as I watched him.

   "Hello. I think there is something happening in house 12 on St. Mary Street. Can you please come fast? I'm scared," I cried.

   "Ma'am calm down. What do you see?"

   "I heard shooting. Come fast. Rrrr grrrrr rrr," I made weird sounds and cut the call.

   I stood up and walked away when I heard sirens. I smiled and ran to my car. I switched off my phone and threw the phone in my car. I got inside and drove away. I went back to the clinic. I parked my car in the woods to avoid suspicion and started to run. By the time I reached the building, I was breathless. I pounded on the door and the nurse opened it. I showed her my arm and muttered, "I got shot."

   "How?" she looked at me suspiciously.

   "Can you help me?" I grumbled, and she led me inside. I sat on a chair and watched as she removed the bandage. I hissed in pain as it came undone. She took a pair of tweezers and pulled the bullet out. "Is it serious?" I asked. She examined my arm before telling me no. I saw her take a syringe, and I wanted to tell her that wasn't required. But I felt tired and my eyes started to droop. I bit my teeth as she poked the needle into my flesh. A tear drop caressed down my cheeks. I shook my head, trying to stay awake. But I don't know if it was the injection or the loss of blood that caused me vertigo. Suddenly I saw two people in the room and both of them kept swaying. I closed my eyes one last time and blacked out.

   When I woke up, I felt something hot on my face. I opened my eyes and looked at the bright sunlight. I yawned sheepishly as I processed everything. I jumped up, realizing it was the day of the hearing. "Shit. Shit. Shit," I muttered as I tried to find my phone. I heard the door open and saw Mr. Martin walk in. "What's the time?" I asked.

   "8.05," he replied. I tried standing up when he grabbed my hand to stop me. "Mr. Martin, I need to leave. The hearing is today," I told him.

   "Ruth, first calm down. What happened last night? Are you in danger? If you are, it is dangerous for you to -"

   "I am a witness. I need to tell what happened. My best friend deserves justice," I rebelled. "Please, I need to be there. It was him who killed Dylan and Marcel. I know it. I must confess."

   "Okay. I will take you, but first tell me what happened?"

   "I went to the station to confess yesterday, and I got shot. I don't know by who," I lied. "I escaped and ran into the woods." I looked at him and he nodded without questioning me. "How is Marcel?"

   Just as he was about to answer, the door flung open and the nurse rushed in. "Sir, Marcel is missing."

   "What do you mean he is missing?" I asked as I grabbed the IV. Martin put his hand on mine and tried to stop me, "Ruth calm down."

   "Where is Marcel!? He was unconscious yesterday. Then how?" I yelled.

   "He woke up while you were gone. He woke up and even spoke. I swear he was too weak to even move, so I don't know how he managed to leave. If he left on his own, that is. But I swear he was in his room before I came here," he explained. I knew that in broad daylight, no one would have kidnapped him since no one knew he was here. I looked at Martin as I pointed at the IV and sternly said, "I need you to remove this. I will find Marcel."

   "No-"

   "You need to be here when I bring him. I'll be fine. Trust me," I assured. He hesitated. "Please." He nodded and removed The IV from my hand. He placed a plaster on it and as I stood up, he held my hand. "Be careful," he said.

   "Can you give me your phone and your car keys? I left my car back in the East when I tried to escape," I asked. I knew going to get my car and phone would only waste my time.

   With no hesitation, Mr. Martin gave them both to me and I thanked him. I ran outside as I tried to call Allison, but it didn't go through. I checked the signal slab and saw only one line. I groaned in frustration and looked at the time. 8.15. I had one hour to find Marcel and get to court, but at that moment, my mind wasn't focused on the latter. I got into the car determined on one thing; I needed to find Marcel.