39. A New Chapter

A month ago, if you had to ask me if I would spare Amelia, I would have laughed at the thought. But yet there I was sitting in the car as my conscience pricked me. I knew I wouldn't be at peace if I let it happen. I guess as you take life, your goals change. People deserve a second chance, right? That would be what Rosie wanted, right? If she was really alive...

   "Is Rosie really alive?"

   "Yes. Yes she-" I didn't let her finish. I jumped out of the car and started running to the building. I saw Amelia holding the gun to her head with her eyes closed. I pounced forward and grabbed her hand as I yelled, "No!" She looked at me and I snatched the gun from her.

   "Ruth, what are you still doing here? Give me back the gun." she asked.

   "I'm not letting you do this," I replied as I wiped the gun with my gloved hands. I walked up to the guy on the floor and placed the gun in his hand.

   "Please leave Ruth. Let me do this. I can't live with myself anymore," she cried. I turned around and grabbed her shoulders. "Rosie needs her three friends, okay? She needs us. Do you understand?" I asked, and she nodded.

   She came to say something, but I didn't pay attention. I walked back outside and went to my car. I took the can of gasoline that I had in my car and walked in. I poured it on Isolda and on the guy. "Quick, grab their phones," I told Ila, and she did so. I placed it on the floor and poured some liquid on it. I poured it on the walls. "Drive the car close to the house," I commanded Ila.

   "Are you going to burn it?" Amelia asked, and I nodded. I removed my mask and put it on that guy's face. "But won't they know it's yours?"

   "Don't worry, I took the name plates out long back and spray painted it. My family thinks it's missing," I explained. I poured some in and around my car as they both kept a watch out. I took a lighter and set the seats on fire. I walked into the house and threw the lighter in the gasoline. The fire burst in front of my eyes and blazed majestically.

   I grabbed Amelia's hand as we ran to Ila's car. She was deep in thoughts so I pushed her in and I got in beside her. Ila started the car, and I told her about the shortcut route into the forest.

   "Where is she?"

   "At my dad's house."

   I saw Amelia looking at the house. I placed my hand on her shoulder and she looked at me. "What if we get caught?" she whispered.

   "Well, let us hope not."

   "How many days have I been there?"

   "Three."

   "What do I tell my parents? You should have let me die, Ruth."

   "We'll think about that later."

   "I don't deserve this," she whispered, and I grabbed her hand. "Everyone deserves a second chance, yeah? So let's just forget everything that happened, okay?" I know I must be a fool to trust her. There were a lot of chances of her turning against me, but I just had to do what I did. I had to finish what I had started.

   Ila stopped the car by a blue building and finally told us what happened. "My dad was in the forest hunting when he saw a body wash up to the banks of the river. He knew it was her and called me immediately after he took her to his clinic. I didn't go to Delaware that week. I went to take care of Rosie. She was in her coma this whole time. She hurt her head badly so her recovery seemed impossible, but my dad did everything in his power to keep the life in her. Three weeks ago, she woke up. Because of the head injury, she didn't remember a thing. My father thought it was best to keep her away from everything for 20 days until he was sure she was okay. All she knows is her name. She thinks she was in a car accident and lives with us while her dad is in Sweden."

   We nodded, soaking in all the information. As I stepped outside the car, my heart started racing. I was going to meet my girl. The girl I loved. Suddenly, I felt nervous and stopped walking. Someone squeezed my hand, and I looked at Amelia. She nodded, and I nodded back. Ila's father opened the door and as we walked in, the sound of laughter filled our ears. "Zoozoo wait!" The soothing voice made my heart skip a beat, and then I saw her. Her golden locks bounced as she chased the little dog. A big smile was plastered on her face. She noticed us and stopped. She softly smiled as she looked at the three of us. My heart melted.

   "Rosabella, this is Ruth and Amelia. Our best friends from school," Ila introduced.

   "Hey," she waved.

   Amelia ran and clung onto her. A loud sob escaped her lips. "Oh uhm," Rosie stood there clueless. But being the sweet girl she is, she patted Amelia's back. "Are you okay?" she asked.

   "I'm sorry," Amelia cried.

   She looked at us and Ila quickly said, "She just misses you and feels bad that she couldn't see you."

   "Oh, it's okay. Don't worry about it," Rosie replied.

   "I missed you so much," Amelia cried while she held her. Ila nudged me as she walked forward. We both wrapped our arms around them. It felt so good to be hugging them again.

   We all sat to talk. Amelia inquired about her health. I just silently sat and watched my Rosie. Suddenly, Amelia stood up and grabbed Ila's hand. "Hey you said you needed some help in the kitchen, right? Let's go!" she dragged her and they went to the kitchen, leaving me alone with my Rosabella. I looked at her and she smiled softly. I wondered how she felt. Whether she would like the same things she did. I decided to test it. "Hey wanna see a trick?" I asked, and she nodded.

   I moved to a empty space and did a somersault, followed by an air flip. "I'm a bird!" I exclaimed. Rosie's face immediately lit up, and she clapped her hands while she chuckled. I smiled. It gets her every time.

   "Hey Ila never told me much about y'all. Can you tell me about our group? Who was the nerd? What are the things we liked to do?" she asked and like that, I started to narrate all the memories we shared. I took out my phone and showed her some of the photos we took.

   "I love your dress," she said, pointing at my graduation dress. She still likes it. My heart melted.

   "Oh and uhm," I removed the chain from my neck and took out the blue clover leaf ring from it. I grabbed her hand and gently pushed the ring on her fingers while I looked at her. She blushed. "This is like our friendship ring. We've been wearing it since middle school graduation." I took the green leafed one and put it on my fingers. I continued telling her all things we loved and did. As for the bad parts, the kiss and her boyfriend. I left them out.

   This was the start of a new chapter. Everything bad and painful was left behind.