55

GOING BACK HOME

_____________

George and Theo guided me carefully out of the forest. They said my mum and Lena were waiting for me right there and as soon as I saw the two of them, next to each other and their relieved tears in their eyes, I couldn't help but reunite all the little strength left in my body and run to hug them.

Lena was almost speechless as she hugged and kissed me, holding me tight into her arms.

"I- fuck, Willow. I c-can't believe you are back here," she had murmured, sniffing and kissing my cheeks, "I felt so guilty during all these weeks knowing that you were in danger when I, having participated in our dads' madness as much as you, was in a safe place in Italy where no one could hurt me. I couldn't stop thinking about you and how you must be feeling."

"Oh, no, believe me, Lena, I'm glad you didn't have to go through this. I thought about you so many times, asking the universe for you to be safe - and I'm so happy to know my desire was accomplished," I guaranteed here, truly, while smiling at her through my tears and observing how true to my memory she was. Nothing had changed in her, she was still Marlena, my best and bad bitch best friend. And I couldn't be happier about that.

My mum almost melted in my arms as I hugged her, with an uncontrollable sobbing of pure joy. She looked a bit older than the last time I saw her, which was completely understandable because of the emotional pain and the exhaustion she had been going through not only these past months I had been missing but in this entire past year as well.

"Oh, my baby. You are finally here," she had whispered while caressing my curls and kissing my forehead repeatedly. "I knew you would be back, a mum always knows that but the only possibility of losing you, the most beautiful gift life has given me, broke my heart. I love you, Wi. I love you so much, my baby. Could you ever forgive me for not having protected you enough?"

I smiled at her, gulping at her words and pressing my forehead against hers, closing our eyes and feeling that deep and unique bond that joined us. The purest and most beautiful bond someone could have.

"There's nothing to forgive, mum. This isn't your fault. You are the best mother I could ever ask for and I love you so much. We are now together, that's all that matters."

"I don't wanna interrupt this precious and waited moment," Theo intervened, looking at us, "But, mum, we should go. I bet he is about to come back."

I lifted my eyebrows, gladly surprised at how Theo had addressed my mum and feeling a huge warmth in my heart at knowing my best friend, the boy I considered my brother, was letting love fill his life as much as he deserved it.

"We can appear back to the village and walk back home," George suggested, looking around, "Fred and Lilith will follow us right after, they are trying to get some clues about the murders going around that aren't your dad's actions, Wi. Nobody is taking care of them and we should know who is in danger and who isn't."

I blinked, trying to process his words. That's what Fluke had talked about when he said the Death Eaters were in danger.

"Anybody knows something about my dad?"

My mum swallowed hard and caressed my cheek.

"He wrote to me last week. He was also looking for you all over Europe but he feels so guilty he said he couldn't bring himself up to look at you. He feels so sorry, Wi."

I sighed, nodding. I couldn't say it wasn't his fault...because it technically was, but at the same time, it wasn't, because he never wanted to risk me. My feelings about my dad were a whole mess and stir at that moment and after so many tortures and interrogations about him under my captivity, I knew I would need some days to chew into it.