32. Tennille-Playing Both Sides

Fuck commitment, she wanted excitement. Flying high off her Grammy nominations, she was ready to turn up.

That's why she invited Randi to come to her show in Chicago. It was on the weekend, he would not have to miss work, and he was eager to be her special guest at her performance.

She flew out with her entourage on Thursday night, but he drove in Friday evening. She invited him to her hotel, just for drinks, but of course, things got spicy. They poured drinks and sat on her sofa and stared at each other for a while.

Since meeting him, she was intrigued, There was something different about him. He helped her find an assistant, and though she still wanted him to work for her, he had good taste in assistants. Her new assistant, a young college grad named Alexis, kept trying her nerves, but she was a hard worker.

She was not easy to work with, so she gave her grace. Alexis had a degree in sociology but couldn't find a job using that degree so she applied to any and everything. What Randi saw in her was that she was a people pleaser, something he said made a good assistant. Alexis wanted to do anything to make her happy, as she should.

Except, it annoyed her that Alexis was goody-goody about it. Like a chipper cheerleader or something.

Randi seemed like he would be the stroke her ego needed.

"I think you are incredibly gorgeous."

"So that's all you like about me, my looks," she asked him, after they sipped their drinks a few moments, not taking their eyes off each other.

"Well, I don't know much more." He grinned at her. "I would love to know more."

"How are you this fine and you're single?"

He gave her a shy grin and a slow shake of his head. "Some women can't take me. I'm a lot."

"You mean like...in the bedroom?" she asked with a shriek in her voice. "Tell me!"

He chuckled. "No, I mean...well, I can be that.."

"Oh sooky sooky now! Tell me, I'm a big old freak, I ain't scared."

"Tennille, I have to ask...are you interested in me, or are you interested in just a fling?"

"You don't want to fuck me?"

"I like how you're so direct...I mean, is that all you want?"

She did not know what she wanted if she was honest with herself. She cared so much about AKA, but sometimes, she felt she was missing out on something, AKA held back things from her. Maybe she missed her brother, they were close. But if she missed her brother, how could their relationship flourish?

That monster took something from her. He tried to hurt Kitty. He could come back and finish her off if he wanted. How could she love AKA when part of her had that monster in her as well. Maybe she could flip out on her too.

AKA would not hurt a flea, she was the total opposite of TA in that way. When she was drunk or high, or both, she did not get wild and weird, she was mellow and a pacifist. And she was not into hardcore drugs like TA because of what happened to her cousin. She was traumatized by her cousin's accidental drug overdose, she would not take anything beyond marijuana.

"Listen Randi, I like you...but I am seeing someone else."

"Oh."

"I mean, it's not serious though," she lied. Why did she lie? If AKA found out, what would she think?

"I understand, I mean, you're Tennille Kelly. I bet you have many boyfriends."

"Girlfriend," she said with a smile. "I like girls."