Darkness Closes In

Kakashi woke with a start, his senses alive and on edge.  His hand instinctively closed around the Kunai he kept under his pillow as he listened for what had disrupted his sleep.  He narrowed his eyes in the darkness, looking carefully around the room before slowly sliding out of bed.  He shifted his eyes to where Sarah was curled up on her right side, her massive stomach resting on the pillow she had tucked under it.  He would have smiled had his senses not been telling him that there was danger somewhere nearby.  He bit his thumb as he grabbed a parchment and smeared his blood across it.  A moment later, Pakkun, Bull, and Bisuke appeared in the room.

He silently motioned for Bull and Bisuke to fan out.  He then motioned to Pakkun to stay with Sarah before he also slipped out of the room.  A chill settled over him as he moved through his home, searching for the disturbance.  A low growl sounded from Bull in the next room, and he started running, in time to see the back door fling open and a figure running out into the night with Bull hot on his heels.  Bisuke joined him only moments after flying out of the home.

They ran for quite a while but lost the intruder.  Kakashi cursed under his breath as he saw Bull walking in a circle, trying to pick up the scent again.  He slowed to a stop next to him, kneeling as he looked at his companion and friend.

"Did you get a look at the intruder?"

"Not much," Bull answered in a frustrated tone.  "Male. Young, twenty at best.  Five foot ten.  He was dressed in an assassin's tunic."

Kakashi narrowed his eyes, "And obviously skilled enough to evade even you, Bull."  He placed his hand on his faithful hound's head rubbing it before straightening and starting back to the house.  They were silent until they were back inside.  Pakkun came out of the bedroom to sit with the other two.  "I'd like it if you three could stay here with us until we're sure that the guy won't be returning."

Pakkun gave him a look as the other two fanned out.  "Kakashi, that's rather bold to come right into your house.  This doesn't bode well."

Kakashi raked his fingers through his hair, "Tell me about it."

"How much longer does she have until the baby is here?"

"Two months," Kakashi answered softly.  "Do me a favor, stay close to her Pakkun.  I have a feeling that this visit is about her not me."

"Will do, boss," Pakkun answered.

Both stilled at the soft rap on the front door.  Kakashi went towards the door while Pakkun took up a defensive stance in front of the bedroom.  A small shimmer of relief went through them when they saw Itachi standing silently there.

"I believe this belongs to you," Itachi spoke finally in that monotone voice of his before stepping to the side.

Kakashi's eyes narrowed as he saw the intruder slumped against the wall unconscious.  He then looked at Itachi.  "Yes, he does.  He slipped away from us."

Itachi gave a nod of his head, "After everyone started moving here, Hidan and I set up some perimeter alarms for just this sort of thing.  It covers the areas that an intruder or someone with ill intent was most likely to use."

Kakashi knelt in front of the intruder and removed his mask.  As Bull had said, he was young.  Looking at him, he actually thought he couldn't possibly be older than sixteen.  His hair was a dark brown and was shaggy looking with its length longer, he had not had a haircut in a bit of time.  His facial features were niggling the back of his mind.  It was almost like he had seen him before, but Kakashi knew for a fact that he never had met him.  He was obviously a pawn of someone else...  He was highly skilled for his age, considering he had out maneuvered both him and his hounds.  If Itachi had not been mindful to set up security, he would have gotten away.