Chapter 18. From the Mouth of Babes

Jax

I stood in the elevator as it moved to the daycare's floor. I was coming to get Ava because I promised Nelly I would. Tara was usually the one driving the car, so I had to park my bike at Nelly's and borrowed her extra vehicle. I hadn't bothered to think about Nelly's income until this morning, everything that belonged to her had a price tag now. From her cars to her home, and even down to what she wore. I was by no means money hungry, but when someone casually drops one million stacks in a bank account you start to wonder about what else they might have.

I opened the door to the daycare and witnessed Ava playing with Abel in the corner. They were getting along great and I was so happy to see their relationship flow with ease. "Hello, Mr. Teller, coming to pick the kiddos up?" I looked over to see the nursery worker ogling me. She was a pretty brunette with big dramatic eyelashes.

"Yeah, I'm here to get Ava," I said while signing the log sheet. "Oh-," she looked like she wanted to say something but kept it to herself. I witnessed her go over to my daughter and point towards me, Ava looked excited to see me and ran over. "Daddy!" I swooped her up in my arms and took a good look at her. The pigtails that were so perfect on her head in the picture I was sent this morning were corrupted today by her obvious display of fun. One of her scrunchies was hanging on the very tip of her pigtail. I'm sure that would excite her mom.

"Looks like you had a lot of fun today," she nodded her head enthusiastically. "Yeah, me and Abie played lots of games and we watched a movie too!" I held back a smile at her pet name for Abel. I'm sure it was because of her pronunciation but it was still so darn cute. "Is Abie coming home too?" her strange eyes studied me.

"Well yeah, soon, Abel's mommy is going to take Abel home sweetheart," she didn't seem to like my answer as she groaned. "But why can't Abie come to my house? There's lots of space!" she pushed for her brother.

"Yes, there is a lot of space, so ask mommy if that's what you want," she still looked defeated but agreed. Two seconds into having a daughter and I'm already trying to be the good cop. I shook it off and grabbed her things while kissing my boys' goodbye. Once I was about to leave Tara caught me at the door.

"Hey," she said while planting a kiss on my lips. Ava held on tighter to my legs when Tara got close. I looked at her for a minute and noticed the face she was making. She was eyeing Tara funny, not in a bad way, but just studying her. "She was fine this morning," Tara said quietly, "probably doesn't want anyone touching her daddy." She looked at Ava lovingly but Ava looked curious, "only mommy and daddy can kiss right?" Ava looked at me for confirmation, "yes mommies and daddies can kiss Ava."

"But why don't you kiss mommy?" Ava was deeply troubled by this question. She genuinely needed her tiny mind to understand, but Tara was obviously bothered by the whole thing. I ignored her scoff and gave her a look, "well mommy and daddy are not together right now, I'm with Ms. Tara right now. She's Abel and Thomas's mommy."

"She's not Abie's mommy," she shook her head, "Wendy is."

"I knew that backstabbing gash showed her the picture!" Tara went fuming and I scolded her. "Calm down she's just confused. Ava who is Wendy?"

"Aunt Wendy. She- she showed me Abie."

I stared at my daughter, my innocent daughter who probably had no idea of the knowledge she possessed. "What picture sweetie?" I could tell she was affected by Tara's outburst because she started to trip over her words, "Honey, it's okay, Tara's not mad at you."

"Is Abie in trouble?" her eyes started to water.

"No baby, Abel's going to be fine."

"She showed me Abie in her tummy," she pointed at her belly.