Chapter 12. I'll Be There For You

Noella stood in the corner of the dance as she watched Ellie and Ava dance to "to love you more," by Celine Dion. They twirled around in their dresses and relished at the moment. Neither Jax nor Opie had shown up yet, which only added to her frustration. Mila stood next to her craning her neck to peek at the entrance every five seconds.

"Mila, you're ruining my chardonnay," Noella said swirling her drink.

"Sorry, I can't help it, Ope should be here by now."

"Relax, I'm sure he'll make it just in time for the daddy/daughter dance."

She looked at her with a shocked expression on her face, surprised by the perfectionist's relaxed attitude. "What's gotten into you?"

Noella sighed, "after the news I received today, nothing can further disappoint me." Which was true, nothing could sour her mood any further. Here she was standing in a beautiful gown inspired by the very dress Salma Hayek wore to her movie premiere for 'Frida' in 2002, and she couldn't even crack a smile. Finding out she was still tied to Jax hit her below the belt, everything felt heavy after the news.

Her marriage to Jax was intense and exhausting, it was a time in her life she often tried to forget. She had seen a handful of shrinks in order to get over the man, to finally move on with her life like he obviously has. But it was no use as soon as Potter told her she was still married everything came flooding back. The tattoo on her thigh burned like it did the day she got it.

She remembered the day like it was yesterday, they were only a month into their marriage and things didn't seem to get easier. Gemma still was hot on her tail and Jax was doing all he could to make her feel welcome. He didn't know what to do for his new wife, how to reassure her that he was on her side. She still hadn't gotten his crow, and his mother never shut up about it.

"You ready to go?" he asked as Noella laid down in the chair. Her whole thigh was exposed as Happy sat at the end of her leg. She was visibly nervous, "you don't have to if you don't want to." He held her hand and gave it a light squeeze. "It would make me a lot happier if my old man got something for me," she said smiling.

Her smile made Jax's heart skip a beat, "how could I say no to that smile?" Jax ripped his shirt off and laid in the chair next to her, "pick whatever you want Darlin'."

Noella laid there shocked to see how much trust Jax had in her, and she didn't want to disappoint. So, she thought long and hard as she drew what she wanted permanently inked on her old man. Staying true to her old man, she didn't want something tacky. She wanted something raw and real.

When Jax got up and noticed a crow on his rib cage holding a heart in his claw, he was happy to see that Noella didn't choose something cheesy. Underneath that were the words, "I'll love you forever," underneath the perfectly shaped heart. It coexisted with the words on her thigh, and he made sure to show her just how appreciative he was later that night.

Noella was snapped out of her thought as Mila pointed out the group of Sons crashing the dance. Most of the elite parents began to whisper as they noticed the outsiders. Jax ignored them as he came in with Opie with their cuts standing proud. Opie and Jax joined the girls on the dance floor just in time for the daddy/daughter dance.

Noella downed the rest of her drink wishing that it was a glass of scotch. She noticed that Gemma and Tara were here as well, Tara sporting a new accessory on her ring finger. It was a beautiful ring with an antique feel to it, but it was on the hand of such a stupid girl. Noella couldn't fathom how Tara Knowles was so book smart but was so dense when it came to the life of an old lady. This wasn't the life for her, and the sooner she cut the crap the easier it would be.

Women like her had a savior complex, in their head, she thinks she can save the man from this world and change him. Probably move him to a nice suburb, while he wakes her up with breakfast and drives their kids to school in a minivan. She had no idea how wrong she was, men like Jax were built for this life. It's embedded into his soul, for him to be anything else would make him an imposter. Pity, the ring suited her too.

"You look nice," Gemma said eyeing her dress. Noella gave a weak smile while looking in her empty glass wishing that it would magically fill up on its own. Tara eyed her but didn't say a word, she adjusted Thomas in her arms and Noella could tell that she was trying to show off her ring. She let out a dry laugh that caused everyone around her to look at her.

"Nice ring," she winked while a smirk play on her lips.

Tara gave a forced smile, "yeah, we just got engaged."

Noella could hardly contain her laughter, which caused Tara to grow defensive. "Is there something funny?" she asked her.

Noella shook her head, "no, I'm just in need of another glass."

Mila bit her lip nervously as Ope and Jax left the girls to dance to some teeny-bop music alone. Jax planted a kiss on Tara's lips, which Tara prolonged by holding on to the back of his head. Noella burst into a fit of giggles, which caused Mila to gasp in embarrassment.

"Ella," she scolded. Opie looked at his wife with a confused look on his face. Mila whispered in Opie's ear which caused his eyes to become saucers. He looked at Noella in a new light, she wasn't laughing to be malicious at all. If anything, she was laughing at the irony, or maybe this was the only way to let go of her anger.

"Alright, you have something you want to say to me," Tara charged. Jax held her steady, while Noella laughed harder. "Why is everyone so tense, I clearly need another drink. Oh, waiter!" Noella shook her empty glass in the air. Opie grabbed it from her, "I think you've had enough drinks."

"What's gotten into you," he whisper/yelled at her.

Noella looked up at him through her lashes, her lips pursed and a smile grew. Jax recognized this smile, he would receive it every time Nelly would say something below the belt during an argument.

"Jax, did you ever mail those divorce papers?"

Jax looked at her, "what the hell are you talking about?"

Noella gritted her teeth and came close to him leveling at his breastbone, "did you ever mail the divorce papers."

He scoffed, "yes, I made a prospect mail them for me."

She nodded her head, "when did he do that?" she cocked her head up at him, and Jax pondered the question. He remembered now that he had given those papers to Half-Sack. The same day Abel was kidnapped.

"I'm assuming by your silence the prospect wasn't able to deliver," she stepped away from him shaking her head in disbelief.

"He died protecting Abel," Jax argued, still trying to keep the conversation quiet enough that outsiders wouldn't hear.

"Well, may he rest in peace then," Noella said in a bored tone.

"Baby, does this mean you're still married to her," Tara searched Jackson's face, "well just get a divorce."

"He can't do that," Clay said stepping into the impromptu family meeting, "you divorce now, we'll have feds at every corner. You two have to play it cool for now." Noella rolled her eyes, she was so tired of hearing other people tell her how to run her life. And that was the world of Jackson Nathaniel Teller.

From the corner of her eye, she noticed Sheriff Roosevelt entering the dance. His wife was the florist for this event, but seeing as they had no children, it was clear he was here to spy. Jax took notice of Roosevelt and kissed Tara on her forehead before he walked over to Noella.

"Nelly," he held out his hand for her, and she took it begrudgingly as he led her to the dance floor. His hands landed on her waist as he held her close enough to whisper in her ear. "Look, I'm going to get out of all of this. None of this will blowback on you."

Noella scoffed, "Jax, save it for the women who still believes in your promises. Just dance with me." Jax sighed, there was no use in convincing her of anything. He simply held his bride in his arms while what used to be their song played in the distance. "I'll be there for you," by Bon Jovi.