Chapter 8. The Deal

"Mommy, what did Uncle Opie mean at the wedding?" I was grabbing the last of all my paperwork as Ava followed me around the house. I tried to act innocent towards her curiosity and avoid her question altogether. "I don't know honey; I think it's an inside joke." She huffed in annoyance, "why can't we be in on it?" I turned around to face her, "because it wouldn't be an inside joke anymore. Now, put your shoes on I have a meeting."

"Are you going to take all day? I thought we had dinner at Ms. Gemma's house."

"We do have dinner there, but I need to get this meeting out the way first. I promise I won't be late and you can even bring some cookies." She squealed in delight as she ran downstairs to take my homemade cookie dough from the freezer. I was dropping Ava off at Gemma's so that I could have the meeting with the Sons. I was hoping to drop her off with my dad, but he insisted that I allow Ava to be around her family more. However, I knew it was just a cop-out to see his new lady friend.

"Ava don't forget to bring your shoes, and don't forget your bag!" she yelled back to me as I quickly grabbed my keys off the counter. I made sure to grab my own bag that consisted of a change of clothes from my business attire.

I had to leave an hour early to make sure I would make it on time. I still hadn't moved back to Charming despite everyone urging me to do so. I guess it was largely because of my own fears, moving back to Charming symbolized so many things. Plus, being so close to the drama and the chaos would just heighten my fears.

I had spoken to Gemma earlier on the phone, despite my distaste, it was still so tense between us. She loathed me almost as much as I loathed her. Our wounds were personal and they ran deep, but to make this work I had to move beyond the battle lines. My escalade pulled into Teller/Morrow Automotive, and I grabbed my suitcase and Ava's bag. She was ecstatic as she bounced up and down, I held on to her hand as she dragged me to Gemma.

As soon as she got close she ran over to her, "Hey Ava!" Gemma scooped her up in a bone-crushing hug. I wasn't jealous or anything, I knew my child's love ran deep and wide, but seeing her with my sworn enemy turned my stomach to knots. She held her on her hip as I handed her the bag.

"Hey mom, you look really professional," she sized me up and down.

"Yeah, doesn't make men listen though."

"Trust me I know."

There was a brief silence before she spoke again, "well, I'll see you at dinner. Break a leg." She turned around to return to her office with Ava, and I tried to make out if she was wishing me good luck, or she actually wanted to see me physically harmed. I brushed it off and proceeded to walk into the clubhouse. The guys followed after me as I walked onto their turf.

Once they were all seated I began to unleash copies of everything. "Listen, I'm not going to take any more of your time so here's the deal. The Alchemist charter is dying, so most of the locations that aren't being used have been turned into a weed farm. Totally legal and accounted for, I own sixty percent of every single farm since I started allowing other charters to take a hand. I'll split that even with the Sons. I also got various accounts splattered in Europe that have been strictly set aside for the Sons, many of the first nine of the Alchemist are retired and are dabbling in the gun business, cigars, men's clubs, you name it. They are included in these books as well, that's where you're going to need me to seal the switch. We do give to charities to make sure we don't have floating money; it also saves face for the feds. This is all yours as long as none of your relationships blowback on me."

Clay laughed, "we're squeaky-clean right now darling."

I snorted, "listen, I'm not stupid. I know every deal and every transaction going on with every partner. You dealing with the Russians will get messy, but that's not my call to make."

Clay nodded, "what about that little car hobby you got rolling around?"

I rolled my eyes; he knew darn well it was no hobby. I was a part of a huge car enterprise that bought old and antique vehicles and flipped them to the highest bidder. I was doing no more than a loud car salesman. I looked over at Opie who threw his hands up in surrender. "Fine, I'll write you a percentage after you prove to me that you don't burn everything you touch."

There was a round of whistles and laughs as I grabbed my belongings. Jax's eyes bore into my soul as I made my way out of the room. I didn't bother saying goodbye considering I had to wait patiently for their vote. I went to take a seat at the bar and ordered a glass of bourbon. I took it whole as I allowed the liquor to burn my insides. The Sons came sauntering shortly after.

Clay landed a rough kiss on my cheek as he manhandled me in a hug. The guys swarmed around me and all I could smell was a mix of Irish Spring, cologne, and booze. The only one who seemed calm was Jax and Piney. Piney's lips came close to my ear, "you couldn't have come at a better time to save us, sweetheart." He gave me a light pat on the back and strolled out of the clubhouse. Jax kept his hands in his pocket as he wore his perfect smile. I smiled back softly at him as he reached over for a hug. It was short and I would hardly describe it as intimate, but it felt so darn familiar.

Opie swung his large arm over my shoulder and dragged me away from the chaos. "So, you're finally a Son," he joked. I couldn't help but let out a laugh that made the rest of the members look over in curiosity. "I guess I am Ope."

"Damn, I'm good," he said gloating.

"You?!"

"Yes, without me there to encourage you, you would be a mess," he beamed.

I rolled my eyes, "whatever, tell Mila I'll see her at dinner."

"You got it, kid," he shot me a thumbs up that made me laugh as he was joined by Jax.