I should've just persuaded Lucian and Aiden to peacefully stop the violently quarrel that was to rise instead of joining sides and one-sidedly chastising the one with the higher ground than mine.

It's vexing to think that I kept talking about consequences and stuff when even I was incapable of applying the thought. How shameless of you, Melissa.

Nonetheless, the current twists of events wouldn't change if I simply waste my time, cursing at the regrettable things that's done. That's why...

*THUD!!!*

"Khah...ack......!!"

I landed a kick from below Aiden's gut that faced the floor, with the utmost of my strength. Then left his pained state which could be described identical to my half-brother's condition several hours earlier, down there.

I bit my lower lip in an indistinguishable manner, detesting the idea of doing something as nasty as this, itself. But to make things believable in my bastard father's eyes, it was an inevitable piece of work. It could've been more satisfying if the one who caught the attack was the duke, himself, though.

"How dare you steal away my credit.", I spat at the young man's suffering demeanor, pouring the rest of my wrath on my expression, for it to take part of the act.

I managed to grasp a small glimpse of Duke Wendell's eyes, drawn by this sudden development, responding to my expectations.

"However... how entertaining. The face you're making right now-"

"It looks the same as when I messed with 'that bastard'.", I wore the evilest smile that I kept within me, for the first time in a while.

I did my best to display the pleasure in my eyes the moment I wore that sort of mask.

That's right. As one might've already guessed by now, the action that I picked to carry out was to dance as I please as a fool obsessed with human torture, in order to immediately change the other person's opinion about my nature in visual.

If I succeed at tricking him like this, it would lower the possibility of Aiden being heavily punished with my share, and I would also be able to make the head believe that he was just a victim of my manipulation, luring the weight of the responsibility to be taken, to my side.

It was a very great progress to have, seeing how the duke got baited all according to plan by the way he pushed aside the paperwork on his table and began to carefully spectate or handle what was happening.

"A few days have passed since I last saw you and now, it seems, you've finally gone mad."

I shifted the gaze of my confused, widened eyes toward his direction and replied.

"What? It's natural to physically vent out your anger to someone if ever they offend you, isn't it? If we're talking about nobles, don't they usually have the authority to punish their people like now when they do something wrong?"

"I don't see a reason why I can't do the same to my personal bodyguard and my disrespectful bastard of a brother.", I tilted my head as I continued to speak, only to look at Aiden's profile again to make him agree to my conviction.

"Don't you agree with me?", I pressed the heels of my sandals onto his abdomen with a pure smile, keeping him incapable of bringing out an answer from his own lips.

The adult man with the same hair color as his son eventually furrowed his brows at the sight of the troublesome predicament that he was meant to solve, as an individual of his standing.

Unless they weren't in the right mind, no one wouldn't react similarly to the duke's response right now. Anybody would find it distasteful to witness how a person they're acquainted with reached the condition of having abnormal mental issues during the meantime that they couldn't come into contact with one another.

Surprisingly, the duke could keep himself calm to deal with this situation, although with one of his hands pressing on his forehead.

"......Is that also why you've bruised the heir apparent of this House?"

"I mean, why wouldn't I?", I laughed at his words in an instant.

I didn't know how far exactly was the duke informed about what happened in that fight. But for him to be knowledgeable of Aiden's involvement must mean that Lucian told him some details to a certain extent. Still, I wouldn't know whether that bastard has retailed what happened with perfect honesty or not, that yet. So the judgement here basically depended on which the duke would choose to believe between these different, contradicting stories.

As much as I've observed, only the servant that was called to carry Lucian back to his room could be labelled as a witness of the actual scene. But, it's not like that guy got to see the literal uproar from its very beginning. Furthermore, my room was on the higher floor, so I didn't have to be worried about being seen by the people that would pass by outside. The hallway seemed peaceful enough at the time, too.

Wendell sighed, showing obvious signs that he bore inconsistent options. But to me, this fair treatment of handling the situation was rather strange, in one way. It was as if I missed a piece related to this puzzling movement of the duke, which would usually give the upper-hand or favor to my half-brother, the sole heir of Shevaria.

Just what did he hear from Lucian...? I couldn't reserve myself from having suspicions about the matter.

And only when I desired to deeply immerse my mind into the production of a bunch of speculations, revolving around that issue, the man with the red irises immediately stopped my attempt while he opened his mouth, probably to state the conclusion that he reached.

"Normally, the punishment of violence toward the successor to the Duchy should be around cutting one's limbs, depending to the part of the body that was used to abuse the victim."

"And as for Aiden's case... as he's thoroughly admitted that he's uttered offending words to the inheritor, matching the elaborated intel, a befitting judgement would be to cut off a portion of his salary at least, or split his tongue at most."

It was to be expected from a person born with royal blood running in their veins. The extremeness was just as I've predicted, but unfortunately it could've been more critical if their registered surnames were 'Zeid Asquith', representing the people in the highest peak of the Empire.

I would generally react restlessly, fearing what was to occur to Aiden and I from this tingling feat. However, I was enacting a scene of a mad woman at present time, which meant that I needed to smile despite this kind of cornering events.

And I'd say, it was a truly uncomfortable task to do.

"You're going to do such a wonderful thing to us?", I enthused, acting like a playful child as I swiftly approached the desk before the duke and slammed both of my hands onto it.

"We're going to be pretty, wilted flowers!!!"

The discomfort that he wore on his face was as clear as day. It was the sight of his realization of the fact that the girl that he adopted has undoubtedly become a crazy person, by now.

With widened eyes befell of shock as it trembled, he brokenly began to speak.

"You......"

"Lady... Me......lissa...", I temporarily feigned ignorance at the struggling, familiar voice that I perceived from my back.

"...You're really......"

The duke managed to successfully add the next word to his sentence, but turned away with the same expression, leaving it unfinished. However, I somehow knew enough already concerning what would follow. And seeing how things unfolded, my mind went blank for various reasons.

Not long after, he abruptly made a stand and rang the bell at the top-right edge of the table, calling for the head butler's service with his teeth, clenched.

The door opened after a while and the individual that entered, said;

"What might it be, your grace?"

"Summon a physician and a psychiatrist at once...!", the dark brown-haired man commanded in an instant.