-41-

Today was the days.

I had gotten Layla back to the castle yesterday after a week of travel and today I'd see Elise again.

"How is she?" The woman I didn't take the time to learn her name asked, locked in cell, I was leaning against the wall with my arms crossed.

"I found her but they did something to her, I don't know what she is anymore... Human that's sure she is not."

"Oh darling Layla." She whispered sadly. "Can you help her in a way?"

"I said I could give her a life and that it might be hard last time didn't I? It is up to her if she can help the darkness instilled in her heart."

"As long as she lives." She still didn't regret what she did nor knowing she'd die.

I lifted my head to stare at the ceiling as I heard the far away sound of the bells ringing.

"It is time." I said to her and she gave as much of a brave nod as she could. "You four, come over here!"

"How did you notice?!" Karem huffed out as the four future shadows joined me.

"With Melore's help and Owen's you are getting better but not good enough yet, try harder... Now, in formation go, they are waiting for us."

--------------------------------------------

We led her out of the dungeon and out the castle.

I was the first to step out with the four future shadows standing around the woman and holding one of the four chains attached around her wrist cuffs in their hands, Edamon looked in his element, elegant and haughty while Aron held a more solemn look, with his elf ancestry all life was sacred to him. I don't worry for Maler, tough as he is but Karem worried me, he never seen anything that's to come and Sel as she'll be present as a court mage of this empire.

The road was cleared as we needed to lead her to the center of the town, people massing at the sides and yelling insults, throwing what they had in their hands and cursing at her.

Soon the town square was visible, I am glad I left Layla with Wynna for now, I can't let her know I lied to her and her family or friend is just about to die now.

I looked up at the pyre built up this morning, the rolled up col hiding my frown, Elise chose a brutal end but this will make people think twice before acting up.

Elise never looked so angry and yet her face was relaxed and neutral with the other three wives for once standing a bit behind her, Sel on the complete opposite side of them, facing her, with Owen by her side, she looked nervous while Owen's gaze spoke of the anger to my choices to not listen.

I stepped out next to Melore, to the very left as the four shadows tied the chains down where they were instructed too before we came, a deadly silence ringing loud as the populous cheering and noise died down.

I watched them walk over to Owen's side before Elise finally broke the silence.

"As of today, let it be known that all those that turn against me shall not have my mercy, as of today all shall burn at the stake and all the following felons will meet the same fate. Mage light the pyre!"

Sel was not warned about her job as she looked at me for help, I could only shake my head a little, a monarch doesn't dish out death by their own hands, their weapons, the court mages, bring the justice.

She lifted her arms, a tremble in her fingers as the flame weakly flickered in her palms.

I watched with  a cold stare aimed at the pyre as the barely sparking fire soon turned into a blazing inferno.

Ignoring Elise's glare towards me, ignoring Sel's tears, Ignoring the blood curdling screams, just watching the flames dance around in their deadly and yet magnificent dance.

The flames of war.