-24-

"Elise this i--" "It is my choice and so it shall be done." I took a deep breath and closed my eyes with a sigh.

From the description of the area, the assassin got her payment Elise had pinpointed only one area that could be at and she wanted to go there, it would have been fine but she wanted to go dressed like a peasant.

"This is dangerous." I still said as I watched her.

"And you think I can't take care of myself little miss knight?" She asked, caressing the side of my face. "I should spar you and show you if your doubt me."

"I do not doubt your strength." From how hard she had thrown my throwing star at me from back when she called me to her office I knew she had strength. "But it is dangerous."

"I'll have my shadow and weapon along my side." She patted my cheek, letting the mains continue dressing her.

"I still cannot believe you have nothing to say about this." I said while looking at Melore who was sitting on the couch, she shrugged at me, already dressed in some button up mantle and used pants and boots, her features now having slightly darker skin with light blue eyes and short grey hair, matching the hair and eyes almost to mine while I had a similar outfit but just the short sleeved light brown undershirt and with a leather hat with feathers on it forced onto my hair to bunch my hair up under it and hide it.

"It is thrilling." She said.

"Don't worry that much, nothing will happen." Elise fixed the cape set on her shoulders and had that maid make a bun from her hair. "Grab that plant-less plant pot outside my room Melore."

"What for?" I asked as she did as told.

"This." She grabbed a fist full of dirt and threw it at me.

"Elise?!" I asked in surprise as she laughed.

"We need to look like they do, dirty and dusty." She explained as she accepted open armed as Melore emptied the dirt over her.

"Elise." I sighed as Melore laughed at me.

"Trust the empress Akito." She grinned as she smeared the dirt I've been trying to get off my face on even more.

"Don't tell me you have never been dirty."

"Oh I've been." I said. "Once I was selected for a mission that took me a week to complete, crawl through the mud for three days, so slowly I was mistaken for one of the corpses, wait a day for the perfect time to strike and take three day back but at least I knew what to expect and wasn't throwing dirt at."

"Oh lighten up!" Melore waved me off.

"Well ladies lets go investigate."

-----------------------------------------------------

She was right no one recognized us like this, not even a glance spared at us.

The story was Melore and I were sisters if people noticed my white hair we tried to hide and that we mutes as it would be easy to notice I have an accent, Elise was our cousin that was showing us around the town as we had just moved here with our family.

---------------------------------------------------------

"Look out for anything suspicious." Elise said while walking down the docks, she hadn't told us exactly where we were going, we might be her inner circle but she is not stupid, many kings and queens have been betrayed by those closest to them but I'd never betray me ruler, never.

Going down one dirty ally lead us to a dark wooden door with three people sitting near it, guards acting like a simple group of people here for no reason.

"Hello there ladies, how may we help you?" One with an underbite and several missing teeth asked.

"Oh we are awaited inside, our husbands are in the guard and that wretched empress threatened to execute them because that bitch failed her hit." Elise clicked her tongue and a shake of her head.

"What are you talking about? This is treason!" I stepped forth as the one with a missing eye spoke.

"We need to save our loved ones that's all." She pulled a golden chain from her pocket with a dark blue gem stone from her pocket. "Can't something be done?"

"Mmm.... Gregor open the gate, we have a few new clients!" A few new? That means this place was known to many.

A man opened a gate before the door opened, double security... They are prepared.

"Let get to the shake down, understand no weapons when meeting the great executioner." My and probably Melore's blood boiled too when they dared to touch Elise.

I hit my elbow in this Gregor named fella's nose when he tried to feel me up through my pants.

"Oops I forgot to say my cousin doesn't enjoy someone like you touching her." Elise laughed casually as I just glared at the man pointing a spear at my throat. "I can pay for her pardon." She pulled out another jewel she brought along. Gregor cussed and grabbed it, wadding up pieces of cloth and putting them up his nose before guiding us down a torch lit corridor.

We entered a domed area built with seating area around the edge, an opening on the top let sun pass through.

My eyes remained on the cloaked figure, instantly knowing the same enchantment was cast on the hood as my shadow knight mask, the cast a permanent shadow while we wore them, hiding their face but not the tell-tale scar round their neck many talked to us about, accompanied by many people.

"The executioner heard you have a wish?" One spoke.

"Our husbands work for the empress and she threatens their death for treason, help us save them." Elise said.

"How much pay? The executioner always sends the best assassins for the job."

"I stole this." She pulled out several necklace. "Is this enough?"

"Good." He grabbed them when the executioner nodded it was enough. "Now the deal is done."

I heard a soft clink, slamming my hand on my chest to make a hole and yank out my blade, clashing with a crossbow bolt making the tip break off the shaft and fall on the ground.

"As we had thought." The speaking man grinned as I glared, the sudden movement sending my hat flying. "An honor, really.... Lady shadow."